Thursday, June 04, 2009

I've Always Had A...

...very assertive, maybe even aggressive personality. Even as a child, I was one to say exactly how I felt, do things on my own, and stick to my guns. And I think that my childhood has a lot to do with how strong my personality is.

Even though I recognize my personality, I can't determine if it was natural or if it was nurtured. My parents, like most everyone elses', had a very strong influence on my life. My father was what we called a hellion. He could strike fear into a person just by looking at them. And my mother would cut you to your core with just a few words. The one thing that they always taught was to speak your mind and get your point across, but always listen to what is being said and what isn't being said to you. And I have always lived by those teachings.

I've always been known as the person that won't hold back a question. The person who will say exactly how he feels. The person who doesn't use euphemisms and calls a hoe a hoe. The person who won't back down from an argument. The person whose face you can read and know what he is thinking.

And a lot of that has turned people off over the years. What i'm learning now is to shut up sometimes. I'm learning to control my temper and my mouth. I'm learning to control my emotions from showing up on my face.

What i'm learning now is to adjust from being that Type-A person to at least a Type-AB person. And I feel happier already.

Labels:

6 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

man i say become a lemonade, the perfect blend of sweet and sour. don't totally change who u are young bruh!! hell i need friends like u who tell the complete truth and how they really feel!! too many fake folks out here!

7:36 AM, June 04, 2009  
Blogger life said...

Sounds like wisdom to me

10:11 AM, June 04, 2009  
Blogger Chet said...

Okay this attitude is getting in the way of you maintaining various friendships or even an intimate relationship. Yeah I feel you, but you can't just change because others can not accept the real you, instead just alter it a bit and work from there after all there must be room for: learning and improvment.

Sometimes we become stuck in our ways, but that doesn't have to be we can alter the ego, adjust the attitude and enjoy healthy relationships.

7:06 PM, June 04, 2009  
Blogger Kyon Saucier said...

I respect alot of ways as you stated them. We all need a friend like that. However you just have make sure you use tact and remember there is a time and place for everything. I agree with B, become the lemonade.

9:45 PM, June 04, 2009  
Blogger John the Scribe said...

As the world will always remain constant, we as human beings must change if we are to grow and experience true joy. Someone once told me that we should listen more than we speak, as God gave us two ears and one mouth. However, if something needs to be said, say it. Good for you.

10:33 AM, June 06, 2009  
Blogger Darius T. Williams said...

Adjustments are always good - aren't they?

10:25 PM, June 08, 2009  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home