Sunday, January 03, 2010

For The First Time In My Life...

...I have had the word "nigger" hurled at me from the mouth of a white person. Here's what happened.

I was leaving a gas station waiting to turn left into traffic. Behind me was a white guy driving a black Chevy Tahoe. I guess he thought that I wasn't moving fast enough for me so he tried to go around me. As soon as he turned to go around me, traffic cleared and I pulled out into traffic. I had no idea that I had done something "wrong".

I get to the next traffic light to turn left to get on the interstate and the light is red. I was the second car in line to turn. I noticed the black Tahoe in the right lane next to me waiting to go straight. Just as the light turned green for both of us to proceed, he let's down his window and screams "NIGGER" and floors it away. Because my music was up, I could barely here him, but my eyes could read his mouth clearly.

To my own surprise, I burst out laughing as I made my left turn and laughed for about 10 minutes. I laughed because people still think that calling Black people that word still stings. It may sting to other people, but not me. That doesn't hurt my feelings at all. If you want to hurt my feelings, tell me that I the clearance rack at Banana Republic is gone!

Now I must admit that once I stopped laughing 10 minutes later, I did get upset. I didn't get upset that there are some people who just don't have a clue. They act as though the world still is and always will be ruled by white people. What gave that bastard the idea that he had the privilege to just go around me when I had the right of way. I'm sure if it had been another white person, he wouldn't have tried it. But my second thought was that I am glad that I don't own a firearm. I'm pretty sure that I would have followed his ass and done something regrettable.

But what strikes me as odd is that when I posted this on Facebook, I got a few comments that people feel like occurences of this type don't happen in their parts of the country. I think that people really need to wake up because racism and prejudice occur all over. Recognize and fight it and the world could be a better place.

Labels: , , ,

13 Comments:

Blogger MissHK said...

This was a good story. I am glad you shared it because people need to realize words are just words and that the only power words have are the power that you give them. Thank you.

5:16 PM, January 03, 2010  
Blogger UrSoVain said...

Thats sad. But we're in the south and that sort of thing runs deep. The best any of us can do is call it like u see and then keep it moving. I still believe that as long as there are differences between people, this sort of thing will continue.

5:18 PM, January 03, 2010  
Blogger Chet said...

First and foremost, Happy New Year.

I can imagine your dismay once the thought of a white person calling you a nigger registered in your mind; yes it may not have stung immediately, but after some thought it made you upset, not the word so much, but the rudeness when in fact you hadn't done a thing wrong.

Ignorance still runs rapid in many places, I've experienced it here in the Midwest a few times, but like you, it doesn't phase me unless I feel violence will errupt. Then the shyte hits the fan.

8:23 PM, January 03, 2010  
Blogger JACK said...

In 2000, my then live in girlfriend was at a gas station in a town outside of Indiana. As she prepared her coffee a uniformed officer stepped to her and said, "we don't like niggers in this town."

I'm not sure who thinks this shit doesn't exist, or that it's not in their part of the country, but they're cracked. Fools who think it's latent now and displayed only when someone doesn't say thank you when you hold the door open for them are just that - fools.

I'm sorry you had to experience that.

11:16 PM, January 03, 2010  
Blogger Kyon Saucier said...

Sorry that you had to deal with that ass Norris but hey he was a coward. Notice that he sped off after he called you a nigger, obviously he wasn't man enough to wait around for your response. At any rate I can say that here inthe Northwest where the racism is quite sublte and covert we still get such things happening here too. Racism is everywhere, I'm sorry but even though Obama is president does not mean that America is "Post Racial" for anyone but apparantly the White People who have deluded themselves into believing that ridiculous and simpleminded phrase.

7:20 PM, January 04, 2010  
Blogger Unknown said...

It happens - even in the Big Apple - so I can imagine it happens in more rural areas of the country. It's sad and insulting and still too common. I fit so many profiled groups that I simply wait in wonder which the offending parties will choose to use an epithet for. ;)

11:29 AM, January 06, 2010  
Blogger Sparkle Bell said...

That really sucks, but yes, it does still happen. Even in this day and age.

On a sidenote, you're on FB? Find me...Sparkle Anderson!

6:43 PM, January 10, 2010  
Blogger Unknown said...

Thank you for this post, we are a online dating website blog network, which college students read our blog, so thanks and well post this article on our blog. what are some facts about college relationships

6:31 AM, January 11, 2010  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy you shared your story.

It just reflects the thoughts of some. I don't know when race will become history but I hope we will get pass the color of someone's skin.

11:36 PM, January 11, 2010  
Blogger Angela said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

4:05 PM, January 17, 2010  
Blogger Rodrigo Zambia Cruz said...

This is a great post, Happy New Year Merry Christmas and All That Inbetween, My first time stopping by since the New Year! I really enjoyed this blog post, you handled things very well! You Betta Show Them! Until Next Time, Blessings R.

12:30 PM, January 23, 2010  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I being white understand the frustrations associated with using such a derogitory term. I ask the readers of this blog not to stereotype all white people, because it is untrue that everyone is racist.

Nor do white people delude themselves into believe because we have a black president it means we do not have those who are still racist. I believe it shows that "progress" is being made. You cannot deny that much has been done.

I myself have experienced "racism" from balcks, who because of my skin color pigeonhole me and classify me with racist whites. I believe that there is just much of an issue with black racism also.

I feel the term racist is loosely used in any situation that does not go a black person's way. For instance, when I am at work, I have to follow company policy no matter what or I lose my job. I cannot discriminate. In instances where it is a black person, I am regularly called "racist" just because I cannot help them with their problem. Now, white people have choice words for me too...but to call someone racist in that instance is just plain ignorance.

I don't believe its a white problem only. I believe it is ignorance on BOTH sides...where stereotypes are made when they should not be.

That Tahoe dude was an example of ignorance..and one day it will bite him. But no one should associate his attitude with all white people, because that is not true.

5:54 PM, January 23, 2010  
Blogger mathcutie said...

Thanks for sharing your story. I loved Angela's comment, appropriately angry. My mother once told me, "God sends all kinds of angels into our lives and sometimes he dresses them like assholes."

9:59 PM, January 24, 2010  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home