Tuesday, August 05, 2008

Not To Be Ungrateful, But...

Today I had my annual review. The purpose of the review would be to determine how much of a pay increase I would get. All I can say is that I am sorely disappointed in the review process and the amount of my raise.

I was provided no documentation on what criteria were being reviewed.

There was no introduction of who all was on the call.

I had no idea of what the average amount of the merit raise was.

So we continued the call and I was showered with accolades for "stepping up" my game and taking on new projects, such as 500 room hotel conversions and kiosk installations. I was also told of what projects that I would be expected to learn and implement.

Then they hit me with the "well your only bad point is that you didn't finish your online training in a timely fashion". I accepted responsibility for it and explained why I took so long *that was a lot of shit to do*

Then it got down to the money. I was given a raise that doesn't even come close to the national average. Now a raise of any kind is always good. But what pissed me off was that they called it a MERIT raise. I was given the same amount as everyone else! The reason that I am pissed and disappointed is that I have worked my ass of for the last 2 years on this job. I have asked for extra projects, have been given them, and completed them with flying colors. I have always turned my reports in on time. I have done everthing right and excelled above what I was supposed to do. And I was awared with the same thing that everyone else got! I think that's bullshit! Why have I been busting my ass? Why? I could have just done enough to get by like other people.

Now normally I would have said something while on the call, but I couldn't. I couldn't for a very important reason. I have just applied for a new position within our project. Now, the position requires that the person taking it live in Memphis, TN so that they can work in the office. But, because no one is willing to move to that city, they are considering letting the position be remote. That means that the person could work from home. There would also be about a 33% raise over what I am making now. I didn't say anything because I didn't want to jeopardize my chances at getting that position.

At this point, I have made a decision that if I am not promoted to the new position, I will start to seek other employment. I fully understand that "the economy" is faltering and all, but my work load has increased significantly. Now if everyone had been given the same work load and we all performed at the same level, I wouldn't have a problem. But like I said, I have WORKED MY ASS OFF while others haven't.

Now I don't want anyone worried that I am going to up and quit my job. I am not foolish enought to do that. Now if I win this $34 million lottery, then it's another story. But what I will do is start looking to see what is out there that pays me what the industry average is. I'll do a my research to see the sustainability of the companies that are doing the hiring and then pinpoint what I want to do. I'm not stupid when it comes to my livelihood. And I also think that it's high time that I get serious about graduate school.

I can imagine that most people in this position would be pissed the fuck off right now. And I am!!!


Text in red were not part of the original post and were added after the first 2 comments.

Labels: ,

17 Comments:

Blogger C. Baptiste-Williams said...

maybe you should find out how much the average raise is before you get too pissed off. you may have fared well.

an associate of mine was pissed about his lack of a raise or what he thought it was and quit his job back in April (when i told the fool we are going into a recession and he should hold off) and now he is still looking for a job.

not saying you would do that but things could always be worse.

8:17 PM, August 05, 2008  
Blogger Corey Keith said...

You do what you think is best, man, but I would not, under any circumstance, seek out a new job right now. The "economy" is really kicking some a$$ right now and I would hate to see you hurt. Several of my friends have left jobs out of frustration and anger regarding promotions and raises only to take new positions and then be laid off...

8:17 PM, August 05, 2008  
Blogger That Dude Right There said...

@CBT-As I said in the post, I was given the same amount as everyone else. And there is no way in hell, I would quit my job without having a solid job lined up.

@CK-The field I am in is always booming. In fact, I had a job offer back in May that I didn't take because the pay was the same as I am making now. Last week, i got 3 emails from headhunters seeking to fill positions for which I was more than qualified.

8:22 PM, August 05, 2008  
Blogger Joey Bahamas said...

Hmmmm this sounds so frustrating. I agree with your assessment though. If you can find another job that pays more, I say go for it!

JB

10:09 PM, August 05, 2008  
Blogger WhozHe said...

Pissed, yeah should be. Now I am sure you will do the right thing.

8:42 AM, August 06, 2008  
Blogger Darius T. Williams said...

I totally know how you feel. Corporate America is a joke these days...there's not much you can do these days either. I'm with you - either you move up or move out. That's my theory these days...I hope it works out for you.

9:58 AM, August 06, 2008  
Blogger Ailed LittleKnight said...

I hope it all works out for you. From reading your posts that seemed to be a power move to shut the hell up on that phone! Good Job, that would not have been me! lol I woulda been slight fired!

10:59 AM, August 06, 2008  
Blogger fuzzy said...

Many people are overworked. Whether it be willingly or involuntarily. As I read I was wondering why you didn't say anything, but then it became clear why. I'm pissed for you so you can calm down... I'll text you...

12:39 PM, August 06, 2008  
Blogger Sparkle Bell said...

I know exactly how it feels to work hard and feel like you are not appreciated. Hang in there...if the job you applied for is for you...then it is for you and no one can take that away.

8:32 AM, August 07, 2008  
Blogger Q said...

That's a crock of you know what! If you can find another gig, go for it. I'm about to hop on a table and wait for that tip drill, cause I'm sick of my job too....

10:22 AM, August 07, 2008  
Blogger Mr. Jones said...

I hope you get more than the bullshit 5% I got this past year.

6:26 PM, August 07, 2008  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You have a right to be pissed but glad you didn't fly off the handle...catch more bees with honey anyway *wink*
good luck on the promotion...hmmm maybe that is why you got the same as everyone....because they plan on offering you the promo perhaps? Can't very well give you an 8% raise at review and then a 33% promotion less than a year later...well they can but they usually don't

5:01 AM, August 08, 2008  
Blogger Chet said...

I feel your dismay, but this kind of thing often happens in Corporate America, the muthafuckas over look the vaild points and hard work the employee has done and not to mention the revenue you brought in for that company instead they find a petty arse excuse that you did not complete the online training course in a resonable amount of time.

I do believe that you have great work ethics and you certainly deserve or better yet have earned the right to a decent raise; the evaulation does not seem to be correct especially if you have turned in reports and met deadlines 98% of the time, there is so little information available to you in reference to the criteria and panel of people that are assocaited with the evaluation. It is not fair!

My brotha keep on doing a great job and do apply for other employment if you feel it would be advantageous for you to change locations and postions.

10:37 AM, August 08, 2008  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

maybe you will shutup now and stop asking coworkers did they wash their hands

6:30 PM, August 08, 2008  
Blogger That Dude Right There said...

Anonymous hoes make me sick!

9:11 AM, August 09, 2008  
Blogger Xem VanAdams said...

I Too BELIEVE that I am on my way OUT of the door; onto a Job that is Not Only Financially Fulfilling, BEYOND my current standard, BUT...Also, Emotinally and Mentally Stimulating.

You, at least, SEEM to ENJOY your line of work; IF Only it were for a Higher Rate of Financial Acknowledgement. I Say...START Your Job Search Bro.

3:02 PM, August 09, 2008  
Blogger E said...

I hope the new opportunity pans out. Not getting the raise does suck but at least you have a backup plan.

3:55 PM, August 09, 2008  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home