Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Excedrin RT II

So after reading all of the comments on the first Excedring RT post, I felt that I had to come back with a follow up and speak my mind. I'll admit once again that what I said may have been wrong and insensitive, but as I stated earlier, it's one of my prejudices. And my point of this post is that ALL of us have them. So when I read the comments on my blog it pissed me off that people had the nerve to call me ignorant and rude. What I said may have been insensitive, but I at my core am not ignorant or rude.

BIAS:

Dictionary.com defines it as "a particular tendency or inclination, esp. one that prevents unprejudiced consideration of a question; prejudice."

Humans are conditioned to favor their own race. Even those who reject their race and assimilate into another race's culture. How do I know this? How many times have you as a black person been watching the news and hear that someone was arrested for robbing a convenience store. Before they show that picture, in your head *or out loud* you are saying "please don't be Black, please don't be Black." When the picture is shown and it's a Black person, you then say "DAMN." Tell me that you haven't done it and I can call you a liar.

When you are watching sports, are you not hoping for the Black athelete to come out on top?

How many of you want Barack to win on the sole fact that he is (half) Black?

I'll tell you a story. One night, a group of 10 of my friends and associates and I went to Joe's on Juniper for some food and drinks. As would be, the Academy Awards were playing on the television monitors in the establishment. We noticed that when a white person won an award, the mostly white crowd would go into applause. But when a black person won, there was silence. So we started giving applause when a black person won. What really pissed off the white people was when we gave a standing ovation and rousing round of applause when Hattie McDaniel's name was mentioned. She was mentioned as the first Black person to be awarded an Oscar. She won Best Supporting Actress for her role in Gone With the Wind. You should have seen the stares and dirty looks that we got. How's that for favoring you own race? But don't we all do it?

PREJUDICE:

Dictionary.com defines it as "any preconceived opinion or feeling, either favorable or unfavorable."

It's hard to believe that there is any person on this earth who doesn't have preconceived opinions about people who are not of their race. And the most striking thing is that people don't want to admit it. How many times have you started a statement with "white people..." or "latino people" or "Asian people...?" How many. The point that i'm trying to make is that we all have some pre-judged thoughts of people of other races. One of mine is that white people don't wash their hands. In turn I don't shake hands with them unless I feel that it's obligated. Call me prejudice if you will, I just may answer. Now tell me one of your prejudices, if you can admit to it.

RACISM:

Dictionary.com defines it as "hatred or intolerance of another race or other races."

Now this is a category of which I do not fall into. I never have and hopefully never will hate another race. I see no reason to. I may admit to being prejudiced, but nothing can make me hate another race. If there is, tell me now so that I can be informed. As many Black people were put into slavery, lynched, harassed, and denied opportunity by white people, I still don't HATE them. It's just not in my heart or mind. While I do have my pre-judged thoughts about other races, I refuse to be intolerant of another race.

CONCLUSION:

I wrote this post because I want people to know that Bias, Prejudice, and Racism are a part of each and every person on this Earth. Our differences are what both keep us apart and keep us together. Think about it. NO human can escape how they truly feel about racial issues. I honestly believe that expressing how we truly feel will actually help with racial issues. We should not be afraid to talk about them. If we dont' talk about them, then people can pretend that the issues don't exist. Maybe I shouldn't feel the way that I feel, but I am human and I am imperfect just like everyone else.

And to top it off, dude didn't wash his hands until after the conversation.

Labels: , ,

17 Comments:

Blogger Corey Keith said...

So true... And good that you addressed such a heavy issue!

10:17 PM, July 16, 2008  
Blogger Harold Gibson said...

The idea of discussing the issue of racism and defining it is fine. But I think your context for the discussion is still rather boorish. Your remark was insensitive at best and really rude heightened by you casing it as a white person habit. Have u watched brotha's leaving the bathroom after taking a leak? A whole lot of them don't wash their hands either. Maybe it's just a male thing.

12:00 AM, July 17, 2008  
Blogger Darius T. Williams said...

Yea, you definitely came back and explained yourself. Good job sir!

8:35 AM, July 17, 2008  
Blogger Chet said...

Man, I am so elated that you brought up this subject and it is perfect for the kind of day that I had today being that bias, racism and predjudice was strongly present in my office today almost to the point that I was going to quit, but thought otherwise and casted my feelings aside.

I agree we all are predjudice when it comes to something. I too have never found a race of people that I hate, but I have had strong reasons to dislike their actions.

Pleased that you and your friends bellowed out loud during the Oscars when Hattie was mentioned. I bet them white customers were out done and it may have made one or two of them think.

4:52 PM, July 17, 2008  
Blogger Mr. Jones said...

I had a feeling you would come back with a vengeance. You were none too happy when you sent that initial text.

5:41 PM, July 17, 2008  
Blogger Joey Bahamas said...

We do all have a kind of innate attraction to people who are like us. I too believe that honest and open dialog about racism, prejudice and bias is necessary! I like that you took the debate to an intellectual level. This is what blogging is about!

Joey

6:03 PM, July 17, 2008  
Blogger TheBlogArtistFormerlyKnownAsYBandDL said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

7:46 PM, July 17, 2008  
Blogger TheBlogArtistFormerlyKnownAsYBandDL said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

7:49 PM, July 17, 2008  
Blogger TheBlogArtistFormerlyKnownAsYBandDL said...

Sorry my comment keeps messing up when I publish it!

You know what?... Personally I don't think you needed to justify yourself, or your comment, but since you did I'm glad. I think it is so easy for other people to judge someone else's actions, like they have never done or said a thing wrong. Trust and believe, every one of y'all's Shit sticks too!

Now here's my issue, I hear a lot from gay black men, be honest with yourself and others. Be Honest and Be True! Yeah I know y'all are pretty much talking about your sexuality, but my point is, you have someone here who was honest and true about his feelings, and the first thing out of so many of you is... "That was rude, That was inappropriate, That was boorish, That was insensitive."
What I didn't read was an alternative response to TDRT's actions. It is so easy to criticize, with no other cure!

Now I come from the old school, that you keep your feelings to yourself, and when they leave wash your hands immediately if there is no sanitize available...and talk about them behind their backs.
I'm know I'm not the only one who has smiled and said "No, thank you" to a coworker, church member, or even a friend who brought and offered something to eat... and when they leave you said to someone, "I've seen their house, they nasty, don't eat that!"

I personally think so many people got on TDRT, because they don't wash their hands and are nasty, just like Whitey McWhite at your job. The fact is there are black men who don't wash their hands either. I understand that, and I just commented a while back on another bloggers post about that. However I think and know white men especially don't wash their hands as much as blacks.

However just like the example I gave on your originally Excedrin RT post, about the stereotypes about blacks and fried chicken. Stereotypes might be wrong, but there is usually some truth too. Where there is smoke, there is fire!

The stereotype about Blacks loving chicken and watermelon might be wrong just like white men not washing their hands, but when is the last time you been to a black cookout or family reunion and not seen a watermelon, and all those Chinese restaurants in the hood aren't serving fried chicken wings, with their fried rice, because that's an authentic Chinese dish, it's because they know Raheem n' nem loves some fried chicken, so TDRT isn't all that wrong about his feelings towards that white guy either!

7:59 PM, July 17, 2008  
Blogger Unknown said...

I agree 100%. I have friends of all races, but I insist that we're honest about our fears, prejudices, biases, etc. I even encourage honest, fun-loving jokes that keep it real. Hey, we have to learn to laugh at ourselves and others without feeling guilt. All cultures have stereotypes attached to them and in anger, folks tend to choose what they think will be the most painful to say. Stay cool...now if you call me a banana eating cuchifrito lovah, I'm gonna have to kick your natural black ass...LOL

11:37 PM, July 17, 2008  
Blogger yet another black guy said...

it's so funny i read this (and the the other blog) today as i had to straighten out a white friend today. he tries to play the Jewish monority role, but always attributes negative traits with blacks. i had to get in that ass quick fast.

but this is one of the realest posts ever. EVER!

2:37 AM, July 18, 2008  
Blogger fuzzy said...

So is it okay to be prejudiced? Since it is only opinions and I always hear we're entitled to our opinions!

I feel you on that prejudiced thing and I fall with you ino not being racist.

I really had to go back to the comments section and read the comments on the other post. I was like huh? Shawn and I watched the video together and we just bugged out together. It was a laugh piece! But wow! that's something!

8:53 AM, July 18, 2008  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I believe we need some form of pre-judgement to protect ourselves. If I know someone to be a thief, I will not let him in my house because I have already prejudged his actions.

Bias effects our decision making. I tend to be bias when it comes to issues effecting my family.

Racist I am not. My parents raised my not to hate.

9:19 AM, July 18, 2008  
Blogger That Girl said...

Look at you..Still addressing the controversial/tough issues.

10:57 AM, July 18, 2008  
Blogger Ailed LittleKnight said...

:-| I really want to comment but I think I will stay out of this one!

2:58 PM, July 19, 2008  
Blogger E said...

Thanks for bringing the issue to our attention. It goes without saying that we all are guilty of having various stereotypes against other races. And I recently had a shooting happen on my block where another black neighbor and I were both going 'thank god he wasn't black.'

1:09 AM, July 23, 2008  
Blogger K.C. said...

I'm with "ailed littleknight" on this; I wanna comment but I'm going to keep my mouth shut.

Nonetheless, your last section about admitting to being imperfect and "truths regarding human nature and racial attitudes" was in line with my blog: truly beautifully human.

Oh, check out that CNN special Weds(7/23) & Thurs(7/24) at 9 PM (EST). They're supposed to be examining similar issues about the state of blacks in America.

7:51 AM, July 23, 2008  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home