Thursday, November 29, 2007

Which Method to Use

Back when I was in College at the illustrious University of Alabama, I learned about the Rifle Method and the Shotgun Method of finding things. I'll explain what they are. Imagine a hunter out hunting for deer. If he were to use a rifle to shoot at deer, then had had better be a good shot because a rifle only fires one bullet. But there is a better chance of fatally wounding the deer. On the other hand, if he were to use a shotgun, his aim does not have to be as good. Shotguns fire hundreds of buckshots in a wide area, increasing his chances of wounding the animal. The downside is that the wounds may not kill the animal because they projectiles are not as large. So which one is better?

When it comes to dating, some people use the rifle method. They pick one person and concentrate on that person in attempt to make the situation work. Others use the shotgun method. They date multiple persons hoping to find that one in the bunch that fits his/her needs, wants and desires. Some people have fund success firing the rifle and some find success shooting the shotgun.

Me, I have always used the rifle method without even thinking about it. Although I have been known to fire at 2 deer at one time. What always seems to happen is that I concentrate all of my attention on this one dude and get attached a little to quickly. I start imagining life together and all of the things that go with it and try to steer the dude in that direction. As we can see, it hasn't worked for me.

But I have realized that I haven't taken the time to enjoy dating. I need to start using the shotgun method of dating. I need to be more like a white woman and actually go out on dates with more than one man. That way I don't feel like i'm making any kind of committment to anyone other than the 2-3 hours of the date. I don't have to call him or be available to him unless we are planning to go out. I have to stop committing myself to someone just because I like them. I have to start shooting my shotgun.

So I have 3 dates lined up for this weekend. One Friday, 1 Saturday, and 1 Sunday. I have expressed to each of the guys that it's just a date and that's it. Our only purpose is to have a good time, and if we enjoy each other, we can plan a second date.

I'll let you all know what happens.

Labels:

20 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Enjoy...you deserve a good time... love doesn't fall in your lap, but you don't have to rope it down and drive a stake through its heart either. Futures and relationships are built one date at a time.

12:45 AM, November 30, 2007  
Blogger E said...

That's good to hear. Definitely have a good time this weekend. I've done the shotgun thing for a while and if nothing else, it gives you a good variety...:-)

1:07 AM, November 30, 2007  
Blogger iii said...

That sounds like a good plan to me. Like you aid you told each guy up front that it just a date and nothing else. Enjoy your dates and have a good time.

8:24 AM, November 30, 2007  
Blogger Cash S. said...

That's they way to do it! Have fun!

9:43 AM, November 30, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Too much confusion, I thought in dating you must give your UNDIVIDED attention.

10:19 AM, November 30, 2007  
Blogger life said...

3 dates in 3 days..well go the heck on.

10:24 AM, November 30, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hopefully, you're not footing the bill for all three... unless you asked them out first.

1:50 PM, November 30, 2007  
Blogger JOHANNES said...

Nothing to do but be yourself, have a good time. Even I could do that! Will watch all this closely on Monday.

2:31 PM, November 30, 2007  
Blogger jbrotherlove said...

Good for you! This is the method I am adopting. As a friend of mine explained, it's easier to spot crazy and inconsistent when you have others with which to compare.

4:49 PM, November 30, 2007  
Blogger WhozHe said...

I like that analogy, rifle vs shotgun. I believe in enjoying dating, that's the whole purpose. 3 dates this weekend, you move fast.

10:50 AM, December 01, 2007  
Blogger Troy N. said...

**thinking the revolver or machine gun method might be way too -too much**

11:19 AM, December 01, 2007  
Blogger lj said...

I'm definitely a rifle type of guy.

3:47 PM, December 02, 2007  
Blogger Ladynay said...

I like the analogy. I will use it soon with someone I know. TX.

10:06 AM, December 03, 2007  
Blogger Ailed LittleKnight said...

the shotgun method is fun...

4:12 PM, December 03, 2007  
Blogger fuzzy said...

I tend to use both! If I can't hit em' directly i will try my best to fire a spread of bullets. I'ma get what i want one way or the other! lol

10:57 PM, December 03, 2007  
Blogger Darius T. Williams said...

3 dates - shit?!?! Well, how'd they go?

9:49 AM, December 04, 2007  
Blogger One Man’s Opinion said...

Shoot that shotgun, mister. It okay to wound them. See which one limps away and which one stays to be nursed and cared for for life. Enjoy your dates.

6:03 PM, December 04, 2007  
Blogger C. Baptiste-Williams said...

University of Alabama... I knew there was a reason i didnt like u

12:07 AM, December 05, 2007  
Blogger Curious said...

Damn, this is like a soap opera. I can't wait for the next episode.

8:33 PM, December 05, 2007  
Blogger Beana said...

now what an idea. I never thought of it like that shot gun or rifle.

I shall ponder this for a second...

5:56 PM, December 07, 2007  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home