Tuesday, October 28, 2008

So While On A Date Last Night...

...to see Noah's Arc for the second time, my phone rang. It was my boss calling and I couldn't take the call because 1) I was on a date and that's a big no no, and 2) I was in a theater. Needless to say, she got voicemail. And she left a message!!!!

Now I don't have a traditional 9-5 job where I go into the office each day, sit at a desk on a computer and the telephone, and see my boss each day. I travel quite a lot and I have not seen my boss in almost 2 years. Hell, I have co-workers that I have never met.

But back to the story. When my boss calls any of us on the team, we NEVER know what to expect. And most times, it's a call to fuss about something that we did or didn't do on a site. Well I waited until my date was over and I was safely in the warmth and solitude of my car to check the voicemail message. In it, she said "Hey Norris, this is BOSSLADY. Hey, I was just calling to talk to you about some departmental issues. Give me a call back when you get a chance tonight or tomorrow morning." Since it was late, I sent her an email telling her that I was in the movies that I would call her Tuesday afternoon when I got to my site.

I racked my brain trying to remember if anything had gone awry on a site or if I may have missed something. I couldn't think of anything at all because I am always sure to cross my T's, dot my I's and cover my ass!!! Needless to say, even with an early morning flight the next morning, I was up late.

So when I got to Texas today and got settled in, I called her. I wasn't nervous and by then, I had stopped wondering what she wanted to discuss. I was told that there may be a position opening up to work with the hotel corporation. What that means is that I would work directly for hotel corporation instead of the contract company. This also means a $10000-15000 raise in pay. But it also means a lot more responsibility for me also. Both of which I am willing to take. But on the other hand, she told me that the company had been put into a hiring freeze. She also told me that she was not promising me the position IF it becomes open, but just letting me know that I was next in line for it.

After the call, I was even more confused than I was before it. I had actually been thinking of finding another job that pays more and doesn't involve travel. Since each time, I applied for a promotion someone more qualified and with more seniority beat me out, I was ready to leave. But now i'm wondering if that call was just a ploy to persuade me to stay. I think that it is. If it was, it wasn't needed because I had already decided to stay. I am not going to change jobs with the US and world economy in the shape that it is.

But i'm still confused and a little baffled. I dont know what to think.

Labels: , ,

14 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Don't think anything! Just go with it!!! Keep traveling and putting your life together--- ON THE COMPANY!!!!!!!

When the time comes to settle down you will know it and everything will come together the way it is supposed to.

10:52 PM, October 28, 2008  
Blogger C. Baptiste-Williams said...

congrats on the consideration keep doing your thing man...

i think all of us hoteliers are in a hiring freeze right now but thank God for a job right about now in this economy.

6:45 AM, October 29, 2008  
Blogger Darius T. Williams said...

Yea - i say don't think anything - just pray and keep it moving. If it's gonna happen, then it's gonna happen. Done deal.

I hope you get it though...lol - for real.

7:18 AM, October 29, 2008  
Blogger yet another black guy said...

be patient and let it play out a bit.

10:21 AM, October 29, 2008  
Blogger Joey Bahamas said...

Remember when you were saying that things in your life never work out?? Sometimes it takes patience...maybe this is the break through you've been looking for. Luv!!!

jb

10:27 AM, October 29, 2008  
Blogger Chet said...

Just when you thought your work went unoticed you get the call stating that indeed your work is recognized and appreciated. Kudos to you.

Now you have to prepare yourself for the change if you decide to take the position if offered to you. Of course things will be different in fact much different than being contracted out, hell more money and prestige.

Wishing you the very best young man.

4:23 PM, October 29, 2008  
Blogger Unknown said...

congrats...take the new position...

8:10 PM, October 29, 2008  
Blogger Corey Keith said...

Was Noah Arc a good movie?

9:25 PM, October 29, 2008  
Blogger life said...

Good luck! Ifinally saw the movie and I enjoyed it.

10:31 PM, October 29, 2008  
Blogger One Man’s Opinion said...

Don't think. Just do. Please do it. Love it. God is trying to tell you something, be blessed and stay strong.

11:07 PM, October 29, 2008  
Blogger bLaQ~n~MiLD said...

Ummm if there is a hiring 'freeze', da fuk is she calling to tell you about the position?! I'd have been like "Well call me when it thaws *bleep*!" LoL. But eh, that was interesting indeed.

~Damnit!

12:18 PM, October 30, 2008  
Blogger antneya said...

Congrats Big N!!!...thats why I got in to G'ment...I didnt know what I was missing...great pay and I can come and go when I want...lol

12:28 PM, October 30, 2008  
Blogger houstonmacbro said...

One word of advice, do what is going to work out best for you and NEVER put your plans on hold for someone else (family, friends, work, etc.).

This is your life and follow your best and first mind. God (if there is one) gave us that sense for a reason.

10:15 AM, October 31, 2008  
Blogger Mr. Jones said...

We still need to talk. I'll try you again later today. Hoe.

3:42 PM, October 31, 2008  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home