Wednesday, August 10, 2005

Getting My Body Together

In January of 2004, I went to the doctor's office for a checkup. The first two test that I took were blood pressure and weight. My blood pressure was high as hell. It was measured at 160/90. So I was prescibed hypertension medication. But my weight! Now that was a different story.

I stood on the scale and the nurse started to move the sliders. She set the bottom slider at 150 and started moving the top slider past 40. She eventually moved the slider to the end, but the marker didn't balance. So she moved the bottom slider up to 200 and the top slider back to 0. It finally balanced at 210.5lbs. I was in complete shock. The nurse saw the look on my face and noticed that I had stopped breathing. She tried to restore my restore my breathing by assuring me that my weight was what what my 6'2" frame should be, which is 210lbs. She asked why I was so shocked by it and I told her that 200lbs was just that point that I didn't want to reach. I instantly felt fat. I then left the office and went home.

As soon as I got home. I stripped and looked at my body. For the first time in my life, I was nto satisfied with my physical being. I had slight love handles and the beginnings of man-boobs. I was not FAT, but I did have some body fat that had to go. I also looked at my face and compared it to a picture of my college days. That made my mood even more somber. I didn't know what to do. I had never been into physical fitness and knew that that would be the hardest thing in the world for me to do. But I did do one thing that helped. I changed my diet. That was hard because I travel frequently and eating well is not the easiest thing to do. When I got off of an airplane, the first thing that I did was to head to a fast food eatery. Burger King, McDonald's, Arby's or whatever. I stopped doing that. I started to head to Subway instead. From that time until June of this year, I lost 15 pounds, and that was without any exercise. I had lost weight, but the fat was still their. Where the hell did the 15 lbs go. So my weight was OK again after a year, but as I said, the fat was still there. I took my measurements and they were like this:

Chest-37 inches (with man-boobs)
Stomach-35 inches (with love handles)
Waist-35 inches
Arms-13 inches relaxed 14 inches flexed

I was devastated. After 15lbs lost in a year and everything was still the same. So I decided to do something real this time. I got off of my lazy ass and hit it to Bally Total Fitness. I joined and committed myself to 4 times per week. I changed my diet again to cut out fried foods and all soda, including diet sodas. I drink at least 64 ounces of water per day and take a diuretic pill to get rid of that excess water and sodium. I had 3 sessions with a personal trainer, but found that to be too expensive. I do 20 minutes of cardio exercise and 4o minutes of weights 4 times per week.

The results after 6 weeks.
Chest-36 inches (man boobs are almost gone)
Stomach-34 inches (love handles are still there though)
Waist-33.5 inches
Arms-14 inches relaxed and 15 inches flexed.
I also notice that my legs have a little more shape to them (they have always been shapely)
My shoulders also seem a but more defined
My butt is more rounded

All this in only 6 weeks. I am also quite happy that my BP is now down to 140/85 without the help of medication. I am quite nervous about posting these, but take a look at my pics and tell me what you think.

10 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Two years ago, I had a similar visit to my doctor, pushing me straight to the gym as well. My weight is still higher than I'd like but I'm much firmer, have more energy and stamina and greater flexibility. Exercise and a good diet just make you feel better. Congratulations on your success.

And those pictures...are...err...uh...hooo! (fanning my self)

6:29 PM, August 10, 2005  
Blogger Tim said...

Congrats man!!! I just use the gym in my building every so often, but I usually hit the treadmill and walk a lot. Sometimes I lift, but maybe I need to get back into a semi-daily routine.

I must say man, the pics are kinda hot man....make a brotha come runnin down there! LOL

11:01 AM, August 11, 2005  
Blogger That Girl said...

I need to get on your workout plan!!! Congrats.

4:37 PM, August 11, 2005  
Blogger lj said...

wel um...yeah the gym is working....nothing sexier than a man with nice legs

6:54 PM, August 11, 2005  
Blogger Avowed_Southern_Democrat said...

Man, I so feel you on this post. I weighed 227 lbs. last summer at 5'8" and waist 42. Had diabetes, high cholesterol and high blood pressure (XXX syndrome). I took 5 prescription meds a day. I struggled to walk from my parking space at work to the building (most of the weight was in my stomach and pulled on my back). In June 2004, I decided to try to get my weight down to 200. Started walking at night, cutting back on fried foods, sweets, soft drinks, etc. When I got to 200, I decided to go to 190. I started having to buy smaller clothes and getting complements. I already had a gym membership that I used for the hot tub. I started using the recumbent bike, then the treadmill and the weight equipment. My new goal was 175 which I reached in March. My doctor told me not to stop but to try to get below 165 (desired weight for my height). I now weigh 166, family and old friends can't stop complimenting me (if one more muthafukker tells me the wind is going to take me away, I am going postal - lol). I shaved my gray beard and mustache and darkened the rest (y'all will understand when you get to be 50+). I feel great everyday, my waist size is 32" and I have lost 61 lbs. My new goal is 160 so I will have wriggle room if I decide to get that whopper at BK ;-) (LMAO at the man boobs. I am afraid I am stuck with the twiggy version). Shem hotep!

8:45 PM, August 11, 2005  
Blogger Avowed_Southern_Democrat said...

btw. I only take 1 prescription med now and that might be stopped by the dr. next month.

8:47 PM, August 11, 2005  
Blogger KneeDeep said...

Man you look good (even sexy), congrats on the new workout plan, and the change in your diet it can olny get better...
KD

10:22 PM, August 11, 2005  
Blogger Troy N. said...

Really nice pictures. But never get into the weight game because a major part of it is how you feel about yourself and your state of mind.
The body shines when your mind in on point and right now yours my brother is as bright and sharp as ever!
Some of the ugliest people in the world have the body, yet you want nothing at all to do with them. Stay you and always strive for better.

7:46 AM, August 12, 2005  
Blogger Waddie G. said...

Brotha, your body looks great, and it only took six weeks. I am so happy for you. It is SO funny that before reading your blog, I decided that I was disappointed in the shape of my body and have to get back into the gym religously instead of one week on and two weeks off. Reading your post inspired me. I hope to get to meet you while I'm in ATL for two weeks later this month. I look forward to read more of your blog in the future. Check out my blog.

Peace.

Waddie G.

9:53 PM, August 13, 2005  
Blogger SGL CafĂ©.com said...

ooh ...

the dreaded man-boob, which has sent many a soul into a frenzy of push-ups.

my first thought when I saw your pics was ... Where does this guy live again ...? Which in my 'cyber-mack rhetoric' is a four-star endorsement.

You should be happy with your results ... u go boy!

1:08 PM, August 14, 2005  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home