Tuesday, July 26, 2005

Mama Always Said

My Mom died on September 27th, 2001 from a short, hard battle with lung cancer. To say that I miss her would be an understatement and I think about her everyday. I realized long ago that she was more than just my mother. She was my teacher was well. I learned most of what I know about life and people from her. Although she wasn't perfect, she was the perfect mother for me. So this post is to share some of the sayings that she use to recite that have helped me in my life.

"If people spent 12 hours of the day minding their own business, and the other half leaving other people's alone, the world would be a better place"

So true-why can't people mind their own damn business. Let me do me and I will mos def let you do you.

"What you eat don't make me shit"

Sounds kinda gross, but makes plenty of sense. Kinda goes with the quote above. The things that you do to yourself will affect you, not me.

"Man does not have a heaven or hell to put me in"

This quote is what helped me to re-establish my relationship with the higher power. I had to learn that my faith is not based on the beliefs of other people, but on what I believe.

"If the dog would not have stopped to shit, he would have caught the rabbit"

I basically means that the word "if" doesn't mean shit when talking about the past. You can't change the past and you can't say what would have happened "if."

"A hit dog is gonna holla"

If you strike a nerve with someone, they will say or do something that will let you know it.

"Either shit or get off the pot"

In short order, don't waste my damn time while wasting yours.

And my favorite of all time that is certainly self-explanatory!

"Men are like tires. You should always have a spare!"

4 Comments:

Blogger Tim said...

Very enlightening man...very much so...

11:28 AM, July 26, 2005  
Blogger lj said...

never heard most of those before

12:02 AM, July 27, 2005  
Blogger That Dude Right There said...

Thanks for the responses. They are very well appreciated.

I can quite imagine that most people have not heard of these old sayings. I'm from the Deep South (Mobile, AL) to be exact.

9:11 AM, July 27, 2005  
Blogger Harold Gibson said...

loving mothers are precious jewels not always perfect but valuable and beautiful nonetheless. Thanks for sharing.

8:59 PM, July 27, 2005  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home