Thursday, May 31, 2007

My Living Situation

When God sends you signs to do something, it's best that you recognize the signs and take heed. If you don't take heed, God will pimp-slap you on the head until you listen.

Back in March, I decided that even though my roommate and I had had a few issues, it hadn't really been that bad. So I searched and searched for an apartment until I found one that we both liked. We put in applications and got approved. If I knew then what I knew now, I would have made a different decision and just searched for my own place.

1. Last Tuesday I got a call from the new complex telling me that they present complex hadn't sent in the rental verification form. She then tells me that we have to pay a deposit of one month's rent. Now mind you that this was 3 days before we were supposed to sign the damn lease. I HAVE NEVER HAD TO PAY A DEPOSIT. I asked her why we would have to pay a deposit and why was I just being informed. Of course she said that she told me that a deposit was required when the applications were reviewed. She never said that. She said that the deposit was required because my roommate's credit was not sufficient to be on a lease, but because I was approved with no conditions, he could sign the lease with the deposit. I told her that because she waited until 3 days before signing day, I would not be signing a lease with them. SIGN NUMBER 1.

2. In the apartment, I am responsible for the power and water bills since they add up to $120. He is responsible for the cable bill since it is also $120. Wednesday, I got home from a work related trip in Maryland to find that the cable and internet were off. This is not the first time that this had happened. It was the 3rd. Thr first 2 times, he would rush over and pay enough of the bill to get the services restored.

This time I called the cable company myself to see what the hell was going on. It turns out that he hadn't paid the bill in 3 months. The representative told me that it was 59 days past due and that they would be out the next day to retrieve the DVR boxes. Because I need internet service for my job, I told her that I would come by tomorrow and pay the past due amount of $157 so that service could be restored. She was nice enough to restore service for that day. Right after that, I decided that I wasn't going to pay anything because it was his responsibility. So I call the roommate and told him that he needs to pay the bill by 5pm on Thursday. He paid the bill and had the cable service turned off, but left the internet service on. I could live with that. SIGN NUMBER 2.

3. He locked me out of the house. YES, HE LOCKED ME OUT OF THE HOUSE! I came home from my part-time job on Thursday at 5pm. I put my key in the lock and unlocked the door. I turn the knob and the door wouldn't open. This fool had put the privacy lock on. Now keep in mind that this is not thr first time that this has happened. It has probably happened about 15 times in the past. It happened 3 times in one week. Normally, I would just call him and he would unlock the door. This time when I called, he didn't answer. I called him about 10 times and go no answer. To say that I was heated would be an understatement to say the least. I threw rocks at his window. I knocked on the door. I kicked on the door. I did everything that I could think of except climb on the second floor balcony and knock on the patio door.

So after an hour, I decided to just drive over to a friends house and wait until this fool answered his damn phone. Just as I had gotten into the car, he ran outside to his car. Apparently, he had left his phone in his car, gone inside and fallen asleep. When I walked past him, he asked me what was wrong. I screamed at him that he had locked me outside in the 80 degree weather for a fucking hour. He gave me a lame ass apology and said that he would make it up to me. I told him not to worry about it because I wasn't living with him anymore. While waiting outside I thought about the past year of living with him and how many times he had done something to piss me off. SIGN NUMBER 3.

All of these things happened within a 48 hour period. It finally hit me what was happening. I had prayed about if I should live with this dude again. God was sending me signs that I shouldn't do it. I'm just glad that I was able to see them before I signed another lease with this dude.

But even after I decided not to live with this dude, there was more drama. I went to the leasing office so that I could look at some 1 bedroom apartments in the complex to decide if I wanted to stay or not. (I am since I got an 850 sq ft apartment for $725 with only $299 to pay for the entire month of June). I found out that there was an $832 balance on our lease. Come to find out, the check that he wrote for his half (we write separate checks for a reason) of APRIL's rent bounced. When that happens, the tenant has to pay the rent, an NSF fee or $60, a late fee of $112, and the leasing concession which in our case is $190. So a total of $832 was due for his half of the rent plus the fees.

The leasing manager told me that they were about to file a disposition on BOTH of us because it was 60 days past due. A disposition means that they are notating your credit report that you owe a leasing company. When they told me that, I called my roommate and didn't get an answer. I was about to go over to his job and act like an angry baby's mama until he called me. I told him that if he didn't pay the leasing office by 5pm on Thursday that they were going to file the disposition on BOTH of us and that if he fucks up my credit I would sue his ass. I could have paid the money and been done with it, but why should I have to do that?

The leasing office told me that I could file a relinquish form and have my name taken off the lease. That would free me up from any liability that he owes and allow me to get the new apartment. I signed it and left it for him to sign because I had a plane to catch. He finally paid the money after I had left for Savannah.

Before I left, I made arrangements to move into my new apartment on the 7th. I can't wait to live by myself again. I originally wanted a roommate because I wanted to save money by reducing my monthly expenses. What I have done is increased my stress level along with my blood pressure. The fact that I am now increasing my monthly expenses by about $400 is not even bothering me. I won't be able to save any money, but I will have peace of mind when I get home.

You can best believe that I will never have another roommate as long as I live. The next person that I live with will be either my partner or my child(ren).

Labels: ,

20 Comments:

Blogger Ladynay said...

ROFLMBBO@going up to his job acting like an angry baby momma!

I love living on my own! It sounds like living with dude was costing you more than $400 a month.

7:37 AM, June 01, 2007  
Blogger ThisMightBeMe said...

Amen Brotha........

9:06 AM, June 01, 2007  
Blogger Soldier said...

Roommates = risky concept, for real man. I'm happy you finally understood the signs before coming home to an empty appartment or something !

I think there's only category of people i can live with, and i dont care about living by myself in a 3 bdr house until the right person comes along.

Roommates r like boyfriends... u gotta live with these retards lol, so u have to pick the right person !

Now u can enjoy the quiet life :-)

9:52 AM, June 01, 2007  
Blogger life said...

Yeah, that was too much of a head ache. Where did you find a 850 sq apart for $725? e-mail that place...please

11:13 AM, June 01, 2007  
Blogger admin said...

Yes, I went through that a couple years ago. Cable out and all. The reason my roommate gave was the boxes broke. All three in the apartment broke at the same time! I got my own place and almost doubled my rent.

4:47 PM, June 01, 2007  
Blogger terpFAN said...

sounds like u got a good deal in the end … i wish i could find a place for $725/mo … rents tend to be ridiculous up here!

5:06 PM, June 01, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's definitely worth 400 per month to be rid of that kind of crap. Divorcing yourself from this loser is clearly the best thing to do.

11:06 PM, June 01, 2007  
Blogger Unknown said...

my God ... I thought he had gotten his act together. he is never going to get his act together, huh?

yeah boo, get your own place and deal with it. the rest will work out.

9:43 AM, June 02, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

At your age you should be living on your own without a roommate. I feel that a man should have his own space no matter what circumstance presents itself. This is far too many issues to be dealing with and i'm sure you earn money to take care of sunk costs of living.

1:41 PM, June 02, 2007  
Blogger That Dude Right There said...

Captain, please don't ever tell me what I should be doing "at my age". I hate when people do that.

3:25 PM, June 02, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well excuse me...I must have struck a nerve, as always.

Truth always remain evident.

1:46 PM, June 03, 2007  
Blogger @GaryTylone said...

Wow, I just started my roommate experience and everything is cool ( although the locked out thing has happened to me too) so far...I pray to God it stays that way. Thats too much.

6:47 PM, June 03, 2007  
Blogger Unknown said...

Only do the "alone" thing... for that very reason... roommates are for college.. real life requires you to live alone unless you're getting married.

1:18 AM, June 04, 2007  
Blogger Joey Bahamas said...

Your roommate was doing too much chile...but I know how it is....congrats on your new apartment!!!!!

9:56 AM, June 04, 2007  
Blogger 4GOTTEN1 said...

Man this just re confirms for me I shouldn't have a roomate. I was actually really thinking I should get a roomate but once again this was the sign don't do it.

3:44 PM, June 04, 2007  
Blogger C. Baptiste-Williams said...

wow this is my first roommate experience since college. and lucky for me, me and my roommate have been good friends for 6.5 years back in DC before living together here. and our situation works out just great.

i think finding the right roommate is something that really takes time. since we were friends for so long we knew each others quirks and cleanliness and bill habits. And in the year we have been roommates we haven't had any issues (BRB gotta knock on wood)

10:06 PM, June 04, 2007  
Blogger C. Baptiste-Williams said...

and who is to say what real life and what you should do at whatever age.

being grown allows you to make the decisions with YOUR life that YOU want to do.

being grown also tells you to mind your own damn business and not inflect your thoughts of how life should be lived unless you are asked.

10:07 PM, June 04, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I like my deal, check out my solution

12:22 AM, June 05, 2007  
Blogger Mr. Jones said...

I, too, tried the roommate thing in college. Mine ended up being an ass, his girlfriend actually ended up becoming a 3rd roommate in her own rite and my contempt for him ensued.

Sure, its fun to have someone to come home to and to split costs with, but living single is the only way to go.

I'd rather have peace of mind.

BTW...Clearly I need to move to the south. I'd gladly pay those rents.

4:21 PM, June 06, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

WOW! I can relate to your 'living situation' in many, many ways! I tried the whole roomate thing, it went downhill from day one. I vowed (as you did) to never have a roomate unless I slept with that person in the same bed, and so for the past seven years my roomate has been the man of my life! Hope all works out! You're a cutie by the way!

1:38 PM, June 16, 2007  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home