Saturday, May 19, 2007

Update 5/20/07

1. The Debt Diet sorta kinda worked for me. I recorded everything that I spent from April 15 to May 15th. I also spent money only on the things that I needed (except for eating out which I need to cut down on). For the first time since I can remember, I was able to save money from a paycheck. I was able to save $1000. Yes, I said $1000!!!!!!!! I was shocked. I repaid a loan that I got from a friend 2 weeks ago and am still left with $800. From my next paycheck I should be able to save $400 which I will put into my savings account.



2. I got a part-time job at a hotel. *Don't even think about asking for any discounts* Why did I get a PTJ? Because I have 5 or 6 days off at a time and nothing to do. Also, I have a goal in mind of paying off all credit card and personal debt that I owe. I need to do that in order to get to the goal that I have in May of 2008. For that goal, see number three.



3. I'm gonna buy a house by May of 2008. I had been thinking about it for a while and just couldn't decide if it was a good choice for me. So I prayed about it. The next day I was walking in Kroger and was about to go to the check out line. Something told me to go down a certain aisle. When I turned down the aisle, a woman asked me if she could give me her business card and if I was in the market for a house. Turns out that she was a real estate agent. That was my sign from above. I'm gonna apply for a loan in February of 2008 and start looking for a house when I am approved. I checked my credit score and I already have a high enough score to qualify for a low interest rate.


4. Hollywood and I have made it this far and it's looking good. I actually do care about him and have let him know that. Last weekend we decided to spend together. Friday we went to a movie and out to eat. Saturday we spent the night in a whirlpool suite at a hotel in town. *I know the manager so it was comped. Remember the debt diet* We turned off our cell phones, watched movies, played checkers, ate Chinese food, soaked in the whirlpool, I gave him a manicure and pedicure, and participated in some adult activities. I'm enjoying this man.



5. For some reason, I am losing the urge to find another job. I think that the benefits of this job are outweighing the cons. The benefits of travel, multiple days off, and no commute are what I enjoy most. I think that i'll stay until I decide to go to school.



6. While I was working in New Orleans 2 weeks ago, I got a chance to see the Lower 9th Ward neighborhood. Seeing the devastation in person is nothing like seeing it on the news. Seeing it in person is soooooo much more emotional than the television. But the fact that this area is still in the same condition that it was 20 months ago, is shocking. But what's even more shocking is that people have moved back into some of the dilapidated homes. I was in total shock!

7. I have finally figured out that in onder to establish and maintain a relationship, I will have to change some of my habits and ways. This is something that I haven't been willing to do in the past. But dating Hollywood has made me realize that I can't stay as rigid and uncompromising as I have been.

8. My brother and sister in law are moving to Guam in July for 2.5 years. I think that I will probably babysit my nieces at least once before they leave. I'm gonna miss them something terrible.

9. After much thinking about it, I am gonna get my windows tinted on the Maxima. This will be my first time doing anything to a car that I have owned other than changing the radio. I'm getting them tinted because the car has a black and dark gray interior. Can you can only imagine how hot it gets inside a dark car with a dark interior?

10. It seems like just last week, I was 170lbs and was trying to gain 20 lbs. Now I am 195lbs, and hate the way that I look. *I'm a little pudgy in my eyes* Others can't see it, but I can. In addition, I can't fit some of my clothes. So guess what, i'm back on my diet and exercise regimen. I don't know if i'm ever gonna be satisfied with my physical appearance.

Labels:

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm very proud of you! The tint will look nice just get a cuople qoutes first. Maaaaaaan if you can save a 1000 a month you will be set on the house!!!

4:19 PM, May 22, 2007  
Blogger WhozHe said...

Man a thousand bucks is damn good. If I save a hundred dollars I'm turning cart wheels. I hope you continue to work on the give and take of your relationship. The end results are worth it.

11:30 PM, May 22, 2007  
Blogger Mr. Jones said...

Re #1 - Good for you. I've been trying to do a better job of saving as well. Currently, my 401K contribution, my brokerage contribution and a bi-weekly deposit into a high yield saving account with HSBC come out of my paycheck before I even see it. If it weren't for payroll deduction. I don't know what I'd do. Saving $1000 is noteworthy.

Re #2 - About three weeks ago I got a PTJ too. I hate it. Well, to be honest, the work doesn't really suck (I work in retail @ J. Crew) and the pay goes toward the discounted clothes anyway. Since my dating life has slowed (read: become non-existent), I figured I could make better use of my time.

Re #4 - I'm so happy that it's working out for you.

Re #6 - Unfortunately, given the thwarted priorities and delusions of grandeur of the current administration, that's not surprising.

Re #9 - When I bought my current car, I got the windows tinted. I was fascinated by the attention it garners. The tint, while darker than Maryland's legal limit aren't really that dark at all. (I think they're 20%) people just want to know who's inside.

Re #10 - Do what makes you happy. I often make the mistake of seeking validation when it comes to my physical appearance. Do what makes you feel good. The issue for me is that being validated by others make is what makes me feel good. it's a mean and vicious cycle.

2:29 PM, May 23, 2007  
Blogger C. Baptiste-Williams said...

congrats on the debt diet... after seeing that on oprah i have been preparing for mine to start June 1... hopefully ill be as successful as you. maybe i need to get a part time job too but i have no clue where to look.

i havent been to new orleans since the october after katrina... and after seeing the devistation to my former summer homeplace i have no desire to go back any time soon.

1:36 PM, May 24, 2007  
Blogger Ladynay said...

Well yippee for you! :-)

Can I get a dollar? LOL

10:18 AM, May 28, 2007  
Blogger life said...

aahhmm...where is the update?!

7:05 PM, May 30, 2007  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home