Wednesday, August 19, 2009

For As Long As...

...I can remember, I have always had high blood pressure and have worried about my weight. I remember 11 years ago when I was in college and a nurse took my blood pressure and screamed "how can you be only 19 years old and have blood pressure this high"!!!!!!!! I think that it actually read something like 170/95 that day. I was immediately send to a physician and have been on medication every since then. The problem with medication is that your body becomes immune to it and it stops working. So for about 2 years, you can have normal blood pressure and then it shoots back up. That's what's been happening for the last few years.

As far as my weight is concerned, i've never been overweight. I've just always watched it go up and down. Since college I have been as low as 165lbs and as high at 210lbs. When looking at myself in the mirror, I have always looked the same. But back in May of 2005 when I moved back to Atlanta, I weighed 210lbs. That day I joined a gym and went faithfully every day. Four months later I was back to 170lbs and was quite content. But that didn't last long and I was back to my old self not exercising consistently and definitely not eating healthy. On June 25th of this year I got on a scale and it said I was 207lbs!!! Oh hell no!!!

I went back to my room and took my blood pressure and it was 157/93. I took a look at myself in the mirror and even took pictures (hell no! I will not post them) of by body. I almost cried to think that I was back over 200lbs and I could have a stroke any day if my blood pressure didn't come down.

Well, I decided to actually change some things about my lifestyle. I could no longer sit on the sofa every day, eat and watch TV. I would eventually get fat as hell and die of a stroke or a heart attack. I could no longer eat high fat, high sodium, high calorie foods. The first thing that I did was change what and how I ate. I took a cue from 2 of my co-workers and cut out all beef and pork. I added a lot more vegetables, fruit juice, and water. It was no where near easy, but i've done it. Now I will have a lil beef every now and then, but no more than once every 14 days. When i'm not traveling, breakfast is a bowl of Cheerios. Lunch is usually some type of fish or chicken dish and a whole heap of vegetables.

The second thing that I did was to get off my ass and start moving. I am not a gym person, so I found something else to do. Since I had been learning to play tennis, I decided to ramp up my game so that I could get more cardiovascular exercise. Luckily, i've not been traveling for the last month so I have been able to play 4 to 5 times a week for 2 hours at a time. I've told myself that when I do travel I WILL make time to go to the fitness center in the hotels if only for 30 minutes.

Well, the results are in people!! After 45 days of my new lifestyle, I can say that I am proud to make this post. Both my weight and blood pressure are down!!!
My blood pressure is down past the goal that my doctor set of 135/85!!!!!





And my weight is down 14.5lbs (7%).
Since i've achieved that blood pressure goal I now have to maintanin it. So i'll be taking my pressure monitor everywhere I go.
As far as my weight, I want to get down to 180lbs and i'll be happy.
Ya'll don't know how happy I am right now.
Next step is to get these finances in a better place.

Labels:

14 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

So proud of you! I hope your health will continue to improve. Surely as your lifestyle changes your blood pressure will remain normal.

10:59 PM, August 19, 2009  
Blogger Erika said...

This is excellent!! Good job! I, too, am getting my health in order and this was wonderful motivation!

11:15 PM, August 19, 2009  
Blogger Darren Logan said...

Good job man -proud of you!

11:52 AM, August 20, 2009  
Blogger Kyon Saucier said...

So glad you are getting your health together love! Good for you!

12:29 PM, August 20, 2009  
Blogger Keisha Kornbread said...

Congrats!!!

1:55 PM, August 20, 2009  
Blogger webmarketingexperts said...

High blood pressure cure supplement, natural herbal remedy to lower & control high blood pressure. Use Alistrol everyday to help maintain healthy circulation and support cardio-vascular health.

3:25 AM, August 21, 2009  
Blogger CrocoEmbossed said...

Get it boy! You will get back down there.

I love red meat, but I rarely eat it - it's just not good for you. And nothing ages your face like red meat along with alcohol and smoking. So I never drink or smoke either.

I don't have high blood pressure but one thing that I do is take ACV. It works well to reduce your pressure. It also helps you lose weight as it cleanses the liver.

Check with your doctor and maybe add that ACV to your regimen. My mamma taught me that.

7:17 PM, August 21, 2009  
Blogger Prince Todd said...

Good for you! I love to see black men taking control of their health and well being.

Sometimes it isn't about pill popping. A lifestyle change can literally heal you in most regards.

I'm a vegetarian myself and my diet consists of primarily fruits and veggies...Not to mention I love to dance to music.

You don't have to be a fitness guru to stay healthy and fit.

9:37 AM, August 22, 2009  
Blogger back2life said...

Kudos for taking charge of your health!

1:35 PM, August 22, 2009  
Blogger Chet said...

Great work continue taking very good care of yourself.

12:10 AM, August 24, 2009  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Work it Norris!!! I like your swagger!

4:08 PM, August 24, 2009  
Blogger yet another black guy said...

Well congratulations cutie! That's a great story and better since you not only decided to do something, you stuck to it. Reading this got me inspired to do some push ups and sit ups during commercials while i watch TV.

Just don't lose that ass ;)

2:35 AM, August 28, 2009  
Blogger Daddy Squeeze Me! said...

WOW I AM WITH YOU. I SURE AM DOING THE SAME HONEY. ONLY I DONT HAVE HIGH BLOOD PRESSURE.

12:27 AM, August 29, 2009  
Blogger E said...

That's definitely good to hear. I have to constantly watch my blood pressure as well. Occasionally my pressure shoots up to the 150/90s range. On the bright side, it hasn't gotten as crazy as it did in 2005 (and probably before that) when it shot up to 180/102.

Three things I've added to my diet that I think help immensely to keep it normal are Plain/Vanilla yogurt (those in the big tubs...not the Yoplait or other brands since those contain aspartame), V8 Fusion, and bananas.

The common ingredient these all share is potassium. It's been said that a balance of potassium and sodium usually helps lower blood pressure.

It's hard to cut sodium out completely so the more natural potassium that you add to your diet, the more likely it'll help lower pressure.

I still have my 150/90 moments...as recently as two weeks ago after going crazy at a Leona's buffet....the fried catfish was the bomb...I had a nice helping of that along with eggs, bacon, thin pizza...you know the rest. My body didn't like that combo at all.

It took two days of pure veggie salads and more of the potassium rich foods to bring it back down to normal levels.

Sleep also helps...which I need to be doing now...:-)

1:26 AM, September 07, 2009  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home