Tuesday, December 20, 2005

They Fucking With Me

For the last few years, I have been watching my temper and controlling my tendency to "go off" when people piss me off. But last Monday, I HAD to snap on a bitch! Wanna know what happened? I'll tell you.

I had just arrived from Juneau, Alaska on an Alaska Airlines flight and walked to Delta gate A13. Since my flight had been booked through Alaska Airlines, I was not sure if I was eligible for an upgrade to first or business class. I saw one agent at the desk and one at the door and decided to ask. When I approached the desk, there was an agent on the telephone and one standing by the gate door. Being the polite person that I am, I decided to wait until she finished her call. But, when she finished her phone call, she never looked up at me. She looked past me, but never at me. I was so appalled, that I didn't say anything. By this time, the gentleman that was by the door walked to the desk and started to talk to the woman who was ignoring me. I just stood there appalled that neither of them had noticed that I was standing there, 2 fucking feet away. I honestly felt as though I was being ignored on purpose. After they finished their conversation, the walked from around the desk and started down the hall together. I was so shocked, that I stood there for a minute before I realized that they had walked away. Other passengers in the gate area were just as shocked as I was.

At this point, I was a little more than shocked AND annoyed, so I decided to confront them on this issue. When I caught up with them, I asked them if they had noticed that I was standing there waiting to be helped. Both of them denied seeing me standing there. I asked them "how the hell is it possible that a 6'2" tall Black man can stand 2 feet away from you and you not see him." Both of them again said that they did not see me.

The female agent then told me that I should have said something while she was on the phone. I told here that as a Southerner I feel that it's rude to interrupt someone on a telephone call. I asked why did she never look up or around to see if anyone was there and again how she did not notice me? Her reply was that she was not a gate agent and would not have been able to help me anyway.

At that point, I told her that what she and the other gentleman did was rude and not customer friendly. She then told me that she was not a rude person, thereby taking the conversation to a personal level. I told her that I did not say that she was rude, but her actions were rude, not her. She then got upset and told me again that she was not a rude person.

The gentleman then asked me if there was anything that he could do to help me. I told him "no," because I was so upset that I had forgotten what it was that I wanted. I then told them both that the conversation was over and that I would take the issue up with Special Member Service (I called but could not get anyone on the phone). The gentleman walked away as I started to do. But the lady, stepped in my way and told me again that she was not a rude person. I explained again that I had said that her actions were rude, not her. When I attempted to walk away again, the bitch stepped in front of me again. My first instinct was to move her out of the way, but instead I asked her to move out of my way. When I attempted to walk away, she stepped in front of me again. Before she could say anything, I told her to please move before the situation got physical. I did not want to have to put my hands of her for fear of being accused of anything by a caucasion woman. This time when I attempted to walk away, she did not try to stop me. I then walked off to get me something to eat and calm down.

I normally don't report incidents of poor customer service, but this was my breaking point. Although the good experiences outnumber the bad ones, this was by 3rd bad experience in the last 30 days. When I returned to the desk, there was a new guy there. He acknowledged me when I was about 5 feet from the desk. This, in spite of the fact that he was staring down into a computer. I told him what happened and he immediately apologized and upgraded me to first class.

I try my best to be polite and nice to people, but please tell me why people have to fuck with me? I really don't like to go off on people, but that heifer had it coming! If I am ever back in Seattle International Airport and see that winch, she is gonna catch it again!

5 Comments:

Blogger the young people's professor said...

LMAO. go off!

4:29 AM, December 20, 2005  
Blogger Ladynay said...

I just KNEW you were gonna choke her after she kept getting infront of you! LOL

Glad the gentleman in you came out.

10:31 AM, December 20, 2005  
Blogger Darius T. Williams said...

Um, see that's why I don't fly Alaskan Airlines!

Coming Into Reality,
-Jamal

12:08 PM, December 20, 2005  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Woooo! I had to stop reading and get up and vent before I could finish your entry. That made me angry because I've either been there or seen it too many damn times.

I absolutely HATE poor customer service. You wonder why some people take those jobs if they aren't willing or able to serve the public effectively. To not even see you is unacceptable.

Perhaps you need to stop being a nice Southerner and develop a pushy attitude. Approach the counter with attitude and a sense of entitlement. Maybe that's the only way they'll give you your due.

12:15 PM, December 20, 2005  
Blogger Stone said...

You handled yourself better than I might have. But I thinks like that happen all the time. if you was white she would have seen you

4:01 PM, December 20, 2005  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home