Monday, December 05, 2005

Good Feeling

I just had to share with you all something that gave me a good feeling today. Today was the day that I chose to get my tetra-annual HIV test (I go every 3 months). I went to AIDAtlanta to get my free (donations are accepted), anonymous, and quick (10-20 minutes) HIV antibody test. First, my results were negative just as I wanted them to be. But something else made me feel good. The place was packed. There were about 13 people in the small office. But the thing that really made me smile was that of the 13 people in the office, 6 were black. There were 3 black males including myself, 2 black females, and 1 male-to-female transexual. The fact that we were there helps to dispel the myth that black people don't care about our health.

I also learned 2 things today. The first is that HIV test don't test for the virus, but actually test for the antibody that is formed to fight HIV once it enters the body. The second thing that I learned had to do with cell phones. I kept wondering why they don't want people to use cell phones in health offices. It's so that people remain anonymous. They don't want people to A: blab in the office that they saw so-and-so there. And B: they don't want people using camera phones taking pictures.

You learn something every day.

6 Comments:

Blogger N4R said...

Good shit that you went to get tested! Every three months - you are good.

11:34 PM, December 05, 2005  
Blogger Ladynay said...

You indeed learn something new everyday. I didn't know the test looks for the antibody!

....knowings half the battle G.I.JOE!

10:28 AM, December 06, 2005  
Blogger Unknown said...

yeah i need to go and get one done myself, its time definitely WAY PAST DUE!

i wish i could have gone with you yesterday!

i need to make sure i make time for it before the new year comse ringing in ...

11:58 AM, December 06, 2005  
Blogger Jenell : BlakIzBeautyful said...

So it's not because the frequency messes up the medical equipment?

That has to be the reason, b/c you couldn't use a cell phone in the hospital before camera phones came around.

1:11 AM, December 07, 2005  
Blogger That Girl said...

proud of you dude.

2:00 PM, December 09, 2005  
Blogger Genesis said...

Good u got tested....

Whaaaaaat at the reason people dont use CPs in the offices.

they can just call someone afterwards and tell them who they saw there.

I thought that the phone would mess up the signal for when doctors have to page each other or something like that.

10:42 AM, December 11, 2005  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home