Saturday, December 31, 2005

Nothing To Be Sad About

I was sitting here is Natchitoches, Louisiana sad that I was bored and not in Atlanta to enjoy the beginning of the New Year partying like I have for the last 7 or 8 years. While in that sad state, my mind started wondering about the last 10 years of my life. For some reason, I could only think about the bad things that have occured. But guess what, there was only one truly bad thing that occured, and that was the death of my mother at 59 years of age. Other than that, life has been good to me.

I thought about a lot of my decisions such as why did I go to Stillman College instead of Howard University? Why didn't I go to law school when I finished my undergrad? Should I really have ended my 3 year relationship with Dreads because he slapped me? Should I have moved to Chicago last December or should I have stayed in Birmingham where living was cheap? Should I have quit my job back in 2002 because I hated it even though I had no prospects for another one (I got my current one 2 weeks later)? Should I have bought a house when I was in college like my mother advised me to do? Should I have moved back in April of 2003 to continue my relationship with Chicago even though I didn't have a job there? Should I have bought my current car even though there was nothing wrong with the one that I had?

These are some of the questions that I think about that I can't seem to let go of. I ask myself these questions constantly throughout my living. But you know what? I have realized that none of these questions are ever gonna be answered because they don't need to be. None of them even matter because all of them are part of the past. I once read a quote that said "nothing is as far away as a minute ago." I don't think that there are many things that could be more true.

So, in this last post of 2005, I am gonna go against what I said and make a resolution for my living. That resolution is to leave the past in the past. That includes all regrets, relationships, money problems, negative thoughts, depressive episodes, and anything else that needs to be left back there.

I really am gonna go after whatever it is that make me happy in 2006. If you don't believe me, I can show you better than I can tell you!

8 Comments:

Blogger Ladynay said...

Can't wait to hear all about the happiness!

1:14 AM, January 01, 2006  
Blogger K Kaos said...

Now that's a resolution to be proud of,hopefully 2006 is good for everyone and the world.

11:00 AM, January 01, 2006  
Blogger That Girl said...

Do what makes you happy and do not doubt your choices. If you got a new car and you wanted it...then you were right, because people who work hard deserve things that make them happy and that they like. I can not be with you questioning old dude slapping you...you should have dropped his ass!! Happy New Year!

11:15 AM, January 01, 2006  
Blogger E said...

That sounds like a cool resolution. I think I mentioned this on another blog but you definitely can't regret any of your choices, even the ones you want to take back, because they've led you to where you are today.

9:46 PM, January 01, 2006  
Blogger Darius T. Williams said...

Yea, I wanna hear more about the happiness too - but um...boy you travel more than a storm cloud! Get somewhere and sat down!!!

Nah, I know it's for work though...make that money!

Coming Into Reality,
-Jamal

6:39 PM, January 02, 2006  
Blogger Stone said...

No need to have regret man. I think if you had to do it all over again you would do the same things it’s because all these things made you, you! I think you are a wonderful person. NO regrets just reflection

8:03 AM, January 03, 2006  
Blogger Jhena said...

Somehow, each one of us comes to a realization such as this. But no matter how hard we think about these things, we can never go back. We can only improve or change for the future. Happy New Year!

3:03 AM, January 04, 2006  
Blogger Waddie G. said...

I really like that title of your post...happy new year to you.

4:48 PM, January 05, 2006  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home