Sunday, October 29, 2006

Short Take On "Gay" Marriage

So the NJ supreme court has said that same-sex couples have to be given the same rights as heterosexual couple. It's about damn time. The controversy is whether to grant homosexual couples marriages or civil unions. We hell, if the two give the same damn rights are they not the same thing???????????????? A rose by any other name is still a rose!

Most people will base their opposition to same-sex marriage on regligion. Can anybody answer this question? Were Adam and Eve Married? I don't read the bible, so I don't know.

The marriage that I would like to have is not based on religion or being blessed by God. I am blessed by God already and that's enough for me. What I want is to be able to legally share my life, finances, children, and everything with my partner. Through wills, powers-of-attorney and things of the sort, you can somewhat do that. But why should I only have partial rights that I have to jump through hoops and pay money to get? Heterosexual people can get married and have rights by paying $15 dollars for a license and recited some words in front of a damn judge. Why can't I and my partner?

And people are so concerned with the spiritual side of marriage, why do they bother with the civil side of it? It's because they want the rights and privileges that come along with a civil marriage. If the civil part of the marriage was moot, why do it. I can commit to my partner laying on the sofa watching TV. But if I am going to share my life with someone, I want it to be recognized when I go visit my spouse in the hospital or when it's time to adopt children.

And I still don't understand how my marrying a man is gonna affect a heterosexual couple's marriage. No one has explained this yet.

The people who don't want us to marry feel that way because they don't want to feel that we are equal to them. The same reason men didn't want women to vote and whites wanted to continue segregation.

And for the heterosexuals who support marriage and civil unions for same-sex couples, I, if no one else thank and appreciate you.

3 Comments:

Blogger Ladynay said...

"And I still don't understand how my marrying a man is gonna affect a heterosexual couple's marriage. No one has explained this yet."

And they won't because they that believe that can't!

9:16 AM, October 30, 2006  
Blogger Mahogany Misfit said...

Oh brother...I despise people with a homophobic agenda. First and foremost, what ever happened to the separation between church and state? Our laws are not supposed to be structured on what the bible says. If that were the case, adultery and worshipping "idols" would be federal offenses. I hate when people make gay marriage a religious issue. IT IS NOT.

Rest assured, the day WILL com when Gays can get married, people may as well just deal with it. Denying gay people the right to get married is wrong and highly judgmental. No one knows WHAT God holds for others.

*Ok OFF soapbox*

2:43 AM, November 03, 2006  
Blogger aaronjasonsilver said...

Marriage, a sacred institution


The concept of gay marriage has been back in the news understandably because of the recent political campaigns that we have as citizens been barraged with. Fortunately the elections are over but the issue about gay marriage is not going to gay away because it is our right as American citizens. The republicans seem to use it as a divisive tool to undermine any impression of democrats having a sense of a moral compass. We are all once again hearing the term used about marriage as being a sacred or religious institution and therefore gay unions are not worthy of being legally sanctioned by any institutions, whether it is in a church chapel or otherwise. If marriage were indeed a sacred or religious institution, which seems to be the major argument presented by the religious right against the legalization of gay marriages, why then can atheist be married legally? One therefore does not have to be religious. Heterosexuals are also allowed to be married by the justice of the peace, at a drive up window in Las Vegas or by a cruise ship captain to receive Gods blessing on their “holy” union of matrimony. Do they want to further blur the lines between separation of church and state by making an amendment against these forms of “non traditional” styles of union since they don’t necessarily have any religious affiliation. Since such unions can be performed by anyone that wants to attain that piece of paper that allows for one to marry heterosexual couples under nearly any circumstance imaginable. Heterosexuals can be married while sky-diving, scuba diving or on a mountaintop. The circumstances or styles one chooses to become legally married are endless. Many of the unions may have no religious overtones whatsoever yet still be considered legal. Since these unions are inarguably legal it would then seem me to blow a big whole in that same tired argument that the religious right continues to endlessly purport that marriage is a “holy” union whether one is a “believer” or not. Another one of their overused arguments is that allowing gay marriages would also help destroy the heterosexual marriages by making a mockery of it. I don’t think heterosexuals need our help in destroying “holy” matrimony. According to all statistics on the success of “traditional” heterosexual marriages, they seem to be doing a fine job of that on their own. I would truly like to hear a rational discussion on this issue and some rational reasons that would suggest that their fears are well founded. Thank you, Aaron Jason Silver. www.aaronjasonsilver.com asilver@wmis.net

7:43 AM, November 08, 2006  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home