Monday, August 07, 2006

Go. There's Nothing Stopping You

Something that irks the hell out of me is people that complain about things that they have complete control over. Let me just get to the point.

I have heard so many people complain about Atlanta, Georgia. They complain about everything about the city. They complain that the traffic is too bad. They complain that there are too many gay people. They complain that it's too humid. They complain that there is nothing to do. They complain about the airport. They just complain about everything.

Last year, I was getting a manicure. The manicurist told me that she was from Detroit. When I asked her if she was enjoying Atlanta, she said no. She then went on about how she didn't like it and wanted to go back to Detroit (why?). I asked her what was keeping her here and she said nothing. I then suggested that she pack up and move back to Detroit. She looked at me like I had called her out of her name.

A few weeks ago, I was at the airport. As always, at Hartsfield-Jackson Atlanta International Airport (the world's busiest), the security lines are always long. I heard the man behind me say "I hate Atlanta's airport." I turned around and politely told him that he doesn't have to use our airport, he could always drive or take a bus and that he should make sure that his ticket is one way. He turned beet red and looked away. Other passengers just laughed.

I heard a conversation the other day between 2 women. One was complaining to the other about how since she has lived here, she has spent an enormous time dealing with traffic and hates it. The other one, without missing a beat and in her Southern Accent, told her "you know that you can always move back to California." The complainer just stared at her looking dumbfounded.

I love the city of Atlanta. We have wonderful weather with 4 real seasons. We have professional sports teams. We have affordable homes and housing. We speak to each other when we pass by. We have a large, progressive black community. We have good southern food. We have clubs open every night. And there is always something to do. This truly is a place where when people visit, they want to move here. I have seen it happen.

So I say to all of the complainers who live here and hate it to take a hint from Airtran: Go. There's Nothing Stopping You.

10 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

HERE HERE!

9:41 AM, August 07, 2006  
Blogger fuzzy said...

@captain: I think he might mean "progressive black community" as a whole, that includes everybody.

I believe he's right. People everywhere complain about everything. Go a day without hearing somebody complain! I tried, and it didn't work. It does sound like ATL is alot like NYC.

12:57 PM, August 07, 2006  
Blogger lj said...

regular people...lol

I always liked ATL, traffic was a mess at times though.

8:02 PM, August 07, 2006  
Blogger Darian said...

Well I will be an official Atlanta resident in about 2 weeks and I can't wait! I'm looking forward to being apart of the progressive black community(f.y.i. Captain's comments are really starting to annoy the hell out of me!)in Atlanta. The cheaper cost of living was definitely a plus for me, not to mention the men! There I said it!

1:46 AM, August 08, 2006  
Blogger Ladynay said...

AMEN! The only problem is that some people don't have the ability to get up and go.

7:42 AM, August 08, 2006  
Blogger That Dude Right There said...

@Darian-We will be glad to have you in Atlanta, GA.

@Pretty Boy-I will be checking you blog out soon.

@ladynay-Yes they do. If the hate it so much, they can put they shit on a cart or in a backpack and start walking on I20 West or East, I85 North or South, or I75 North or South.

10:15 AM, August 08, 2006  
Blogger Clay said...

lol - this is funny, but i think people complain wherever they live - it is just part of American life.

9:46 AM, August 09, 2006  
Blogger Tim said...

I have to agree with clay. People complain all the time about everything. It's human nature.

But it's what you do when people complain that matters.

12:16 PM, August 09, 2006  
Blogger Ladynay said...

hahahahaha you didn't say walk! hahahaha I see your point tho'! hahahahahahaha

1:21 PM, August 09, 2006  
Blogger Harold Gibson said...

I like this blog. Because when I lived in Atlanta, I also hated it for all of those reasons, the traffic, the airport and the fake and phony people. So I took your advice and moved to Omaha. After a few months in Omaha I started thinking; and you know Atlanta wasn't so bad after all.

For me the weird thing is this, I liked living in Atlanta better than visiting Atlanta. How strange is that?

7:24 AM, August 17, 2006  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home