Sunday, February 05, 2006

Got To Have A J O B

I have read quite a few blogs where people are either changing, looking for, or don't have a job. I have a job that I am quite satisfied with. But I have been presented with a little bit of an opportunity.

On Wednesday one of my friends and former co-workers called me and told me that my old boss wanted me to come back and work for the company. I was flattered because the manager of the project that I use to work on requested that he find me and attempt to get me back on the project. Imagine that, someone wanting me! So me and the old manager we talked about a few things such as what's new with the project and how it has changed. Now, I like what I do, but I loved that project.

So, I know that you are wondering what the problem is. It's the pay. With the job that I have now, I get paid for the number of days that I work. Sometimes it's good such as when I work everyday in the pay period. But there have been times such as last August when I was off for a month. So, my issue with this job is that my paycheck is not certain and that can cause problems when we are off for extended periods of time. But, all in all, I made more money in 2005 than in any other year.

If I were to go back to my old job, I would be on a yearly salary. Therefore, I would know that I would be getting a paycheck on the 1st and 15th. When I was with the company before, knowing that I would get paid on those 2 dates allowed me to plan and save money each month. I was doing well. The issue with this is that I could possibly be taking a pay cut. I say possibly because with my present job, I could make about 10-15% more per year than if I was on salary.

But then again, I did say possibly. If there is another extended time off then I could go broke again. I talked about what happened to me between August and September in the Spending Spree post. To sum it up, I went broke because we were off work for almost a month and a half. If I went back to my old job, I would be assured a paycheck twice a month.

So, I have to ask myself a question. Should I stay with this job and possibly make more money or should I go back to my old job and be assured a steady paycheck?

If it were based only on the job itself, then I would go back to my old job tomorrow. Here are the reasons:

1. The hotels that I would work in are better. Think Hilton and Doubletree versus Super 8 and Days Inn.

2. I would be working on a team of 4-6 people instead of by myself.

3. No classroom training. Presently we have to do 3 days of training. With the old job, they did computer based training before we arrived.

4. A company credit card for all expenses. I would not have to spend my money and wait for reimbursements.

5. I could book my own travel. Presently, I have to fly on the airline that the travel agent books. I have only been on my airline of choice about 25 percent of the time since I started my present job.

On Thursday, I talked to my old boss and told him how much money it would take for me to come back. He was kinda shocked, but I told him that I wasn't budging on that salary. So on Monday, he will call me back and let me know if my salary was accepted. If it is, I will take a day to ponder what I should do.

I'll let you know what I decide.

4 Comments:

Blogger Troy N. said...

Go ask your moms. Mom will have the right answer. Any-oleway, congratulations!
Sidebar: Which of the two has the tighter benefits, 401K, perks..A check is nice but the bigger picture is what you're after.

9:50 PM, February 05, 2006  
Blogger E said...

Wow...I'm glad you had the talk with your old boss. If he really wants you, he'll offer you that salary and more. Good luck!

2:34 AM, February 06, 2006  
Blogger Ladynay said...

Wow.

I would go with the job that I prefer doing.

But like Troy stated...gotta look @ the big picture.

Good luck in any choice you make!

7:56 AM, February 06, 2006  
Blogger soforeal said...

Well from what I've read from you in the past,it sounds like you enjoy spending serious money so I'm thinking you would be better off getting a steady check. Good luck in whatever you decide.

12:59 PM, February 07, 2006  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home