Monday, February 25, 2008

"He Come Into His Manhood Today"


As I sat watching the television version of Lorraine Hansberry's "A Raisin in the Sun", I was honestly in awe. First, the acting from each of the principle character's was phenomenal. Just phenomenal. But what had me in awe was something that I didn't get when I saw movie version back in 9th grade. I learned 2 lessons.
This time while watching the movie, I learned lessons about understanding and love. As I watched the movie, even though I knew what was going to happen, I kept wanting Walter Lee to just do the right thing. But I was still thinking, "he's just going to mess up the money from the insurance payment". Even though Lena knew what Walter Lee planned on doing with the money, she still gave it to him. She gave it too him because she understood that a man has to at least try to realize his dreams even if the whole world knows that he's going to fail. But a man's pride is one thing that he must hold on to when he has nothing else. Lesson Learned
The other lesson I learned about was when to love. Lena told Beneatha that she has to love someone most when he's at his worst. I can fully understand how Beneatha felt when it seemed that her brother had let the family down. I really can. She didn't want to have anything to do with him at that point. I've felt that way about people that disappointed me in the past. But Lena reminded me that you have to continue to love the people who do things that disappoint you. Lesson Learned.
I'm truly happy that I was able to see this movie at this time in my life just before my 30th birthday. I have a lot more lessons to learn and I need a reminder of what's important sometimes. And I thank God for sending me reminders every now and then.

Labels: ,

13 Comments:

Blogger D.LavarJames said...

I recorded it. Now I'm even more excited to find some time to watch.

9:44 AM, February 26, 2008  
Blogger fuzzy said...

A man's pride is something serious. I have always stated that I did not have a problem with pride. Always thought it was the ONE thing I did not get from my father. I am coming to realize that this is not the complete truth, LOL! I believe that pride is one of the few things that makes the man, if not the backbone.

Sounds like a great movie

11:17 AM, February 26, 2008  
Blogger admin said...

I liked the movie but it was just like the 1961 version.

7:02 PM, February 26, 2008  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I can't even bring myself to see this stuff.

3:45 PM, February 27, 2008  
Blogger Chet said...

It appears that you discovered a thing or two about love and being loved. I did catch the made for television movie on television last night, but missed some of the show however; what I did see was okay.

8:30 PM, February 27, 2008  
Blogger Ladynay said...

Happy Birthday...belated if I missed it.

10:45 AM, February 28, 2008  
Blogger Humility731 said...

I am so mad I missed it ! I was sleep at like 8pm, no raisin in the sun was getting me out of that bed. Do you know if they are re-airing it? I have heard only great things....

11:05 AM, February 28, 2008  
Blogger One Man’s Opinion said...

Interesting. You are the first person that I'm encountered that actually enjoyed it. I must admit that I missed it, but I wasn't hyped up about seeing it. I think it was because P-diddy was in it. I am so sick of him. Like his clothes line. Hate his personality.

12:39 PM, February 28, 2008  
Blogger life said...

That scene with Lena was so poignant. One, the conversation she had with Joseph. He took the excuses right from under her. He quickly let her know you can't count on anything or anyone to make or break your dreams. Also, the mother telling her to wonder why her brother did what he did. Seeking understand people makes it easier to forgive.

12:47 PM, February 28, 2008  
Blogger Kyon Saucier said...

The whole movie was quite good actually. Sean John almost made me really believe he was Walter Lee and not some meglomaniac. *smile*

6:22 PM, February 28, 2008  
Blogger iii said...

The movie was wonderful.

9:16 PM, February 29, 2008  
Blogger E said...

Those lessons are so true. Folks are always going to mess up every now and then. It's just how life is. But to truly love someone is to love them even with their faults.

8:27 AM, March 01, 2008  
Blogger yet another black guy said...

okay i like the first lesson, but i don't know about the second one. loving the people that ALWAYS disappoint has left me emotionally, spiritually and financially drained.

12:14 AM, March 12, 2008  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home