Wednesday, December 10, 2008

The One Thing That's... (Updated)

...Kept me sane since my car accident is my belief that everything that happens is part of God's plan. I let things happen as they happen and I deal with the consequences as they come.

I'll elaborate more later.

Ok. Now it's time to elaborate. But for the first time in my blog i'm not going to tell what happened to send me into a week of depression.

As I stated earlier, I believe that everything that happens to us (as a part of fate) is a part of God's plan. What I mean by that is that (as the old folks used to say) God planned my life for me before I was born. I no longer question why things happen to me when they do happen.

Here's what happened. I was heading home and got on West Peachtree so that I could get onto the Buford Highway ramp so that I could get on Lenox Road to drop a friend off at his house. As I was rounding the first sharp curve, I noticed 2 cars racing up behind me. I decreased my speed as a precaution, but when the first car went past me, he cut in front of me and a damn near hit my car. My first instinct was to hit the brakes, which my mind knew was not the right thing to do on a curve, but my foot had a mind of its own. The next thing I know, I had hit the guardrail, spun around and hit it 2 more times before coming to a complete stop. We immediately jumped out of the car and checked to see the 3 of us were ok. No one was injured. Someone called the police, who was there immediately. Luckily, there was a guy who saw what happened who stopped also and gave his account of the incident to the police.

While I was waiting on the police officer to arrive, I looked at my car and just let out a loud wail. I couldn't believe that I survived without a scratch on my body. All 6 of my airbags deployed and because we all were safely in our seatbelts, the airbags didn't touch us. Needless to say, my car was a total loss.

What spun me into depression was just the thought that each time I start to get a little ahead, something major happens and I feel like I have been pulled back. After the accident, I found out that I actually didn't have GAP insurance on my car. I bought GAP insurance when I initially purchased the car, but then I refinanced it immediately after I bought it. It was my belief that I had included the insurance when I refinanced the car, but I hadn't. The insurance company decided to pay for the cash value of my car which was about $6000 less than what I owed. I was floored and depressed in the fact that I had to pay for a car that I no longer would have to drive.

Luckily I was off the following week and didn't have to go anywhere. All I did was lie around the house and sulk for 5 days. I just felt like giving up on life. But then something hit me. "How exactly does one give up on life?" I had no clue!

And then I remembered that God lets things happen for a reason. I had to remind myself of that. Once I did, I started to feel better. I also realized that I was fortunate enough to have another vehicle to drive. I was fortunate enough to have the money to cover my deductible in case they decided to try to fix my car. I was fortunate enough to STILL BE ALIVE!!!!

Things started to look up last week when I got a check in the mail from my old company. If you all remember or not, they went bankrupt back in April and terminated us with no notice. Then when I found out that my GAP insurance wasn't in effect, the customer service representative told me that I was due a refund since that contract was replaced.

I used those to checks as a down payment on my new car. A 2005 Infiniti G35x!!!! I love it. I got it for about $4000 less than retail. That came in handy because I was able to add that $6000 in negative equity to my new loan. So I don't have to pay for (in a way) the old car and for a new car.


































I believe that things like this happen to remind you that God is still there for you. And I'll leave it at that.

Labels:

26 Comments:

Blogger JACK said...

This line of thinking drives me crazy, I've got to admit. I concur that things happen for a reason, but the fatalistic idea that you should just let things happen to us just doesn't make sense to me. There are things that we can do to strive for what we want and to so strongly believe in fate (i.e. fatalism) that you do nothing is not a way to make "money cometh to me" so to speak. Don't be adrift in the sea of life (to use flowery language), paddle somewhere.

1:26 PM, December 09, 2008  
Blogger That Dude Right There said...

@Jack-I'm not saying that i'm going to sit at home and let life just go by with the belief that things will come to me. What i'm saying is that unavoidable things like auto accidents, and death are going to happen and that there is nothing that you can do to stop it. When shit happens, you deal with it and keep going.

1:34 PM, December 09, 2008  
Blogger JACK said...

Well, ok - within that definition is something I can buy into. Life isn't about what happens, it's about how we handle it. You know, we all have people die in our lives ... we all are in one type of auto accident or another ... we all miss a bill payment from time to time (at least) and you just gotta keep it together. Just making sure you're not wallowing in your inability to stop bad things from happening. Keep on working for the things you want - even in adversity - and bad things don't dictate how you live. Ok, a car accident - big whoop; you get another car since that's what insurance is for ... materials things are just eh.

3:41 PM, December 09, 2008  
Blogger Beana said...

you will find it hard to take "things happen for a reason" when you have an issue with control.

While I certainly don't believe that I am to allow life to happen to me and float around on a breeze...I am also smart enough to know that ultimately I do not have total control.

I'm glad ur ok sugaplum. Let me know if you need anything please. SERIOUSLY. U need $5 and a sammich....momma got that for u. Chips and koolaid too ;-)

5:29 PM, December 09, 2008  
Blogger Pharoah said...

That Dude Right There,
I'm not as perturb by your resignation to "ride the wave" of events and their consequences as I am as I am about you setting up this blog with NO details and concluding with what results in a "to be continued." LOL Bastard! That said I hope these things that have happened for a reason aren't serious....and trust that you will settle them.

6:58 PM, December 09, 2008  
Blogger Darius T. Williams said...

*waiting on the elaboration*

7:10 PM, December 09, 2008  
Blogger BPS 4.0 : Soul Exposure said...

I am one to believe that things happen for a reason. I like to think they are moreso to make you move than to sit and wait.

If you are sitting on a stoop and a man comes and smacks you. Do you sit and take it and think why me? Or do you bash Mister upside the head and think about heaven later. I react and then sit and think.

It's time to react, not sit and ride the wave waiting on God to speak to you.

8:54 PM, December 09, 2008  
Blogger WhozHe said...

Some things are out of control but we are able to maintain our sanity by knowing that there is something out there bigger than us or our situation. We're not helpless but we need not despair God is on our side.

12:03 AM, December 10, 2008  
Blogger fuzzy said...

lol jack went off, whew! lol but i get where he came from and the responce you gave him TDRT.

i wanna know what consequences? who's fault was this? yours?

12:59 AM, December 10, 2008  
Blogger Mr. Jones said...

Don't give too much detail, babe.

12:12 PM, December 10, 2008  
Blogger Mr. Jones said...

You know I'm not all into the religion, but I feel what you're saying, I'm just happy you're alright.

And you betta give my car a slighty older cousin!!! Similar color, too. You said you wanted one the first time you got in mine and now you got it. Good for you, man.

Word to the wise...watch the gas pedal. They guzzle premium and them things got some giddy-up to 'em.

Enjoy your heated seats. I sure do enjoy mine!

6:12 PM, December 10, 2008  
Blogger Ladynay said...

Your new ride is purrrdy :-D

8:57 PM, December 10, 2008  
Blogger Unknown said...

GLAD THAT YOU GAVE ME THE OPPORTUNITY TO SPEAK WITH YOU ABOUT YOUR ACCIDENT. THANK YOU. LOVE YOUR NEW P.O.V. (PERSONAL OWN VEHICLE).

12:27 AM, December 11, 2008  
Blogger @GaryTylone said...

Well Congrats!!! It's gorgeous!!!

2:07 AM, December 11, 2008  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

WOW!!! I love the pics of the new car MUCH more than the ones of the old car!!!!

Thanks for the story as well. I am inspired by your willingness to see the God in your situation.

1:05 PM, December 11, 2008  
Blogger life said...

I'm glad you found peace in the midst of it all. Second, I have my eye on the same car.

8:31 PM, December 11, 2008  
Blogger C. Baptiste-Williams said...

i use to live right down the street from that curve and remember a many liqoured up nights going around that corner at 30mph and still feeling nervous.

and that G35 must be the most popular car in Atlanta you are know the 5th person i know down there with it.

8:06 AM, December 12, 2008  
Blogger John the Scribe said...

Very often, our authentic characteristics are revealed through struggle. Keep persevering, my brother.

1:04 AM, December 13, 2008  
Blogger antneya said...

Congrats Norris...glad it all worked out for you :)

9:23 PM, December 14, 2008  
Blogger j_shanlin said...

i'm sorry about the car but this new one is SEXY!

8:55 PM, December 16, 2008  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow. I also believe He works in mysterious ways, but I agree with BPS - you make your moves while waiting for further direction/guidance/instruction.

Where one door closes, a window opens...

11:29 AM, December 17, 2008  
Blogger E said...

Oh my gosh Norris...I'm sorry to hear about your accident. I am glad that you're okay and that you were able to get through the depression. Your new ride is nice.

10:51 PM, December 18, 2008  
Blogger Kyon Saucier said...

So everything worked out perfectly amour and the best part is that you are fine in perfect helath.

3:39 PM, December 19, 2008  
Blogger Kyon Saucier said...

So everything worked out perfectly amour and the best part is that you are fine in perfect helath.

3:39 PM, December 19, 2008  
Blogger Auto Insurance Quotes Texas said...

Hey blogger i like your blog keep it up and thanks for sharing informative article!

Car Insurance in Corpus Christi

1:13 AM, September 13, 2017  
Blogger Unknown said...

hey!
This is one of the most wonderful this is work is tremendous.
Thanks For sharing!
affordable car insurance in texas

7:27 AM, January 18, 2018  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home