Friday, April 25, 2008

Lifelong Problem

About the age of 11, little boys begin this process called puberty. Their voices start to deepen (some of them), they get pubic hair, their underarms start to sweat, they start to increase in height and weight, and a few more things change and get bigger.

Well all of these things happened to me when I turned 10 years old, one of them started and didn't stop. When my underarms started to sweat, they didn't stop! I could be in an air-conditioned room at 40 degrees with air blowing directly on me and my underarms, forehead, and back would sweat. When I would eat certain food *not necessarily hot or spicy*, my forehead would sweat profusely. I could take a cool shower and I would start sweating immediately afterwards. But none of these embarassed me as much as my sweaty ass underarms.

Because of this, I learned what colors you can wear that don't show a change in color when wet. This limited what I could wear. I learned to wear a jacket at all times. Of course, this caused my body temperature to increase and caused more sweating. I buy new t-shirts every 3 months. Nothing is more unattractive than pit stained t-shirts. I learned to make excuses for sweating by saying things like "oh, i'm hot-natured" *how the hell can you be hot-natured?*. At one time a few years ago, I developed a social anxiety and avoid people because they act as though they have never seen someone sweat before.

This condition is called Hyperhidrosis and I have it and have had it since puberty. Like any other condition, you can't understand it if you don't have it. You don't understand how it feels to feel that drip of sweat under your arms or on the tops of your forehead. You don't understandthat anxiety that you know it's going to start and not stop for hours. To know that your shirts are going to be soaked in a matter of minutes. The funny thing is that you know what is happening and that causes anxiety. In turn, the anxiety causes you to sweat more.

I've tried all kind of products from plain anti-perspirants to prescription strength anti-perspirants. Nothing has ever worked consistenly. I did have one product called Certain Dri. I had to apply it before bed and it actually worked. The issue with Certain Dri is that it caused my underarms to burn like fire. It felt like I was putting a lighter to my underarms. I had to stop using it.

I talked to my dermatologist about ways to solve the problem. Her first suggestion was to try Dry Sol and I did. It didn't work. Her next suggestion was to have botox injections on my underarms. That sounded wonderful, but it was painful and $750 per session 4 times a year was a bit out of my budget!

Then I saw a commercial for something. That something was Degree Clinical Strength.
Of course I was reluctant, but I said, what the hell and decided to try it. To my amazement, it has worked. The only downside is that it cost about $10 and since you have to apply it 3 times a day, it the stick only last about 2 weeks. But you know what, that's a price that I will pay. I have noticed that my sweating has been reduced my maybe 90%. Becauase of the reduction, my anxiety has decreased also, which has led to what? A reduction in overall sweating!!!!! No one knows how happy I am.

Now all I have to do is go out and buy new t-shirts and a lifetime supply of Degree Clinical Strength!

AND LET THAT BE THE REASON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Norris

Labels:

25 Comments:

Blogger Cash S. said...

Hmm, I sweat a lot. Even in the zero below temps here in Chicago. I thought it was just because I'm overweight (which I'm sure doesn't help), but I might need to check into this.

12:11 PM, April 25, 2008  
Blogger Joey Bahamas said...

Awwwwwwww Norris. I'm glad you've found something to help. I would never want you to tuck away that bright personality you have. It would be a travesty! Less sweat and more smiles...:-D. Luv!

JB

1:13 PM, April 25, 2008  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Something don't sound right about the derm doctor.

1:31 PM, April 25, 2008  
Blogger Darius T. Williams said...

Ahh - good for you sir! I'm glad you found something that works!!! Glad that anxiety is getting better too.

3:45 PM, April 25, 2008  
Blogger Curious said...

The mind is responsible for a lot of the ways that the body behaves. I have a similar condition but I get pains in my back and arms. Alexithymia is what it's called.

Anyway, this is about you and I'm glad you found something that decreases your anxiety. You'll find your life so much easier and even more enjoyable than before.

4:38 PM, April 25, 2008  
Blogger E said...

I'm glad you found something that works. I can imagine the joy you must've felt..:-)

I'm glad you let that be the reason..*LOL*.

9:25 PM, April 25, 2008  
Blogger BuddahDesmond said...

I know exactly how you feel Norris. I sweat more than Whitney & Bobby put together. It's SERIOUS, especially during the warmer months. I'll definitely be checking into this though. Thanks for the post!

Have a great weekend!

10:40 PM, April 25, 2008  
Blogger yet another black guy said...

Good for you for finding something that works! and Botox for the underarms?!

11:27 PM, April 25, 2008  
Blogger Unknown said...

Never noticed over our weekend, so it must be working...happy for ya'

12:05 AM, April 26, 2008  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I had a similar problem with sweating, though I'm not sure it was hyperhydrosous. Like you, I could sweat profusely at any time, even in the depths of winter, in a room or outdoors, where everyone else was shivering and bundling up.

My situation changed, unintentionally, with a change in my diabetes medication. Once I started taking a drug that was intended to change the way my liver metabolizes sugar, I suddenly quit feeling hot. And, over the period of a week, my sweating stopped.

The cure you have found appears to be addressing the symptoms, but do you still feel hot? It would be my concern your underlying issue may not be addressed. My suggestion would be that you see someone who specializes in metabolic disorders, just in case there truly is something that can be done to deal with the cause.

Good luck, and God bless!

Steve

7:00 AM, April 26, 2008  
Blogger j_shanlin said...

MY NAME IS DEGREE CLINICAL STRENGTH, AND I APPROVED THIS MESSAGE! HUNNY EEEEEEEEEAT IT!

8:37 AM, April 26, 2008  
Blogger antneya said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

8:04 PM, April 26, 2008  
Blogger Troy N. said...

I wonder if I can make a few tshirts w/Let That Be The Reason printed on them and not get into too much copy/double trouble....One wonders...

11:53 PM, April 26, 2008  
Blogger WhozHe said...

I'm sure that's a great relief for you. I ahve a friend with a similiar condition and I am going to tell him about Degree. Thanks.

6:37 AM, April 27, 2008  
Blogger fuzzy said...

The interesting thing is that I heard about this condition while at the Blogger get up! Not from you or about you but interesting. I will share this info if he has not heard already...

Congradulations! I have a problem with eating and sweating as well. I can sweat in the conditions that you would wear a coat to stay warm! but I feel you, I actually somewhat understand!

2:38 PM, April 27, 2008  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Botox underarm injections... wtf???

I've been using Degree for years. Damn, I didn't know the clinical strength vers. was so much.

8:55 AM, April 28, 2008  
Blogger Promiscuous X said...

Lol omg I cracking up rite now. I just knew when I started reading your post I would be amused in some kinda way but dam punk. Im glad you wasn't raining in DC. You just gave me a new word to steal lol "Im HOT-natured" lol Now thats the mofuckn reason lol.

I'm glad yo handled that , but whats $10's. You was gone spend it on lunch or dinner anyway so why not it be something more beneficial to ya.

Much luv X

11:21 AM, April 28, 2008  
Blogger TheBlogArtistFormerlyKnownAsYBandDL said...

My mind is always in the gutter, but how was the sweating issue during sex?

I like a nice seat session during sex, every now and then. You had it every time I'm sure.

In my mind it's sounding incredible hot... with the sweat from your body.. making both of you sticky and wet.

Or did it just make it gross?

3:09 PM, April 28, 2008  
Blogger Chet said...

I know what you are going through there are times when my sweating increases and being that I am always running late jumping in the shower, getting dressed rapidly and dashing out the house for my morning commute and by the time I reach the bus it looks like I have been working in the sugarcane fields, sweating running down my face and down my back ( it doesn't help that I am 6'2 and over two hundred pounds. I think Curiuos said it best our minds create certain conditions (not quoted properly).

7:56 PM, April 28, 2008  
Blogger ponoono said...

A sure cure for your condition is injections of botox in the armpit area. It shuts down the nerves and overstimulation of the sweat glands for 6 months - absolutely no sweat at all. It is proven absolutely effective and almost any dermatologist will do it. BC/BS will cover it.

4:40 AM, April 29, 2008  
Blogger Mr. Jones said...

OMG!!!!! NORRIS!!!! Why am I just reading this? I suffer from hyperhidrosis, too! I mentioned that to the guys in Baltimore and they looked at me like I was insane. I saw the commercial for the clinical strength stuff, but was skeptical. I'm gonna give a try now.

Lemme find out we're sweaty brothers from another mother.

3:15 PM, April 29, 2008  
Blogger ThisMightBeMe said...

Thanks for the recommendation. I got some last night and it also worked wonders for me. Thanks.

8:37 PM, April 29, 2008  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

my initial reaction to your post was that you use the product 3 times a day...seems like a awful lot; I too seem to have a bit of problem wit sweating, esp. underarms, and like you many products seem to cause severe irritation to my skin and that was wit light use; I did find that Queen Helene's Aloe Deodorant (http://www.queenhelene.com)does work and without any irritation to my skin; the downside of this is not many outlets carry this vendor, so I often have to search around town for it; It is also rather inexpensive and of course completely natural..I have since found their website and will probably be ordering it online;
I am glad you found a product that works for you, and i wouldn't suggest you change, unless you want to spend less.

9:31 PM, April 29, 2008  
Blogger TheBlogArtistFormerlyKnownAsYBandDL said...

O...M...G... all you guys don't have this issue! This is just the craziest thing I've heard.

This is like old ladies, when one mentions, she has a condition, then all the other old ladies have that condition, plus another.

Maybe some of you don't have hyperhidrosis. Maybe some of you just don't have central air. Maybe you are just sitting in your hot ass house with out any ac.

Or maybe some of you have Whitemanwalksis...You walk to damn fast like a white man. Maybe that's why you are sweating, you walking like you on a treadmil.

Or maybe you got too many clothes on. Ever think of that. I know sometimes in the Spring time, I'm still trying to dress fly, like in the winter, and do too many layers. Then later I be sweating like a hoe in church...maybe you got Hoenchurchasitis.

Or maybe, yall got too much body hair. Perhaps , some of yall need to stop walking around like little chimpanzees, and are in need of a good body waxer. Maybe you just have Igottomuchdamnhaironmybody...syndrome.

Or maybe just maybe, yall didn't do the initial regular degree. Maybe your just not 100% degree sure.

Stop jumping on the sweat ban-wagon, damnit!

12:28 PM, May 01, 2008  
Blogger Ailed LittleKnight said...

that's a sweaty mess... lol I'm glad you got that fixed and under control!!!

2:13 PM, May 01, 2008  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home